204 Tons of Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defield

Nov 21, 2008
South Central Maine
Just went to The Home depot in Auburn, Maine.

I counted 204 tons of pellets lined up by their garden center. Stored outside of course.

No markings on the wraps, just small stickers saying Wood Pellets. Product of Canada.

Naturally, I had to peel up the corner of a pallet wrap until I could see the brand.

Fireside Ultras

No prices marked. Called the store. Woman said $269.00 with $50, $100, $150 off depending on tons purchased.

Glad I have my Okanagans and LGs neatly stacked in the basement.

Wife thinks I should have better things to do on a sunny weekend morning . . . .

I must be a HEAT HOG!

Ranger

Fireside ultra's seem to be HD's most common pellet. But 204 tons it a bunch for 1 store. Most I have seen in our local is about 80 skids.

I am hoping my local has some Winter Warms this season!

j-takeman said:
Fireside ultra's seem to be HD's most common pellet. But 204 tons it a bunch for 1 store. Most I have seen in our local is about 80 skids.

I am hoping my local has some Winter Warms this season!

x2, those burned very hot when i tested them, Hammer Hot Ones just re-bagged, at least last season.

was in HD in mansfield ,ma today and they have freedom fuel also at $269. they have 4 ton sitting out front so everyone can see what water does to an unprotected pallet of pellets. seriously.there is a ton out front completely unwrapped with a couple of partially opened bags and they are mush.went out to the gardening area and out of 16 ton there were 8 damaged.i will gladly pay a little more for dragons and okies

corkman said:
was in HD in mansfield ,ma today and they have freedom fuel also at $269. they have 4 ton sitting out front so everyone can see what water does to an unprotected pallet of pellets. seriously.there is a ton out front completely unwrapped with a couple of partially opened bags and they are mush.went out to the gardening area and out of 16 ton there were 8 damaged.i will gladly pay a little more for dragons and okies

x2 saw those too.

My home depot in Northern Michigan is selling Eureka's. They will match any price in town, which is about 189 a ton. I'm pretty much set though, I just need one more ton of Somersets and I'll have 5 tons ready to go for this winter.

gyingling,

I wondered if some would have your reaction to that title . . . :)

Only have 4 tons of pellets, 3 cords of wood ( for the Tarm boiler ), 1 pallet of Bio bricks ( also for the Tarm), and an almost new Buderus zero start oil boiler.

You could say, if you wished, WHAT A HEAT HOG!

Ranger

NorthernQuad said:
My home depot in Northern Michigan is selling Eureka's. They will match any price in town, which is about 189 a ton. I'm pretty much set though, I just need one more ton of Somersets and I'll have 5 tons ready to go for this winter.

That is one of the reasons I never buy at Home Depot. What will happen when they run all the independants out of buisness? $400.00 a ton ? With no compitition they can name their price. I would rather buy from my pellet guy , even if he is $15.00 more then Home Depot[ he is $25.00 cheaper the Home Depot as of Thursday ]. They do the same thing for rock salt, tell you I
'll beat anyones price by 5%. And I say the same thing , I know the owner of our local Agway, I don't know Arthur Blank. So I'll spend my money with the local guy.

I was at a Lowe's in Appleton, WI yesterday and I don't believe they had ANY pellets in stock... they DID have two Summer's Heat stoves.

At least in my area, you are taking a chance getting bad quality pellets at places like Home Depot. If its not the pellet quality itself, its more how Home Depot is not taking care of the product to ensure that it stays dry and clean. I would much rather keep my dollars local anyway if I have the choice.

Thats why I like the Menards In TC Michigan. They have Somersets and they keep them out of the rain. And our Menards is great to deal with. And they deliver. Next season I'm going to have them deliver 5 tons of somersets at about 20 dollars a ton for delivery. They even said they will forklift them into the garage. Somersets are probably the best pellet you can get in Northern Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.