22.5 - with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Just measured...thought I had < 20, but I'm sitting on 22.5 cord c/s/s. Should be able to hit 25 this fall (finish next year's supply) and then take a break until spring.

Lukem,+1 sweet. whats the most you ever been ahead? You got room for a hundred cord? That would be something to see.

wood spliter said:
Lukem, you go through 12.5 cords a year. Man that's allot of wood

No, I go thru about 5. I have 5 for next winter...and then the balance is some oak that isn't going to be ready in time. So I'm technically not even a year ahead...but next year I'll be 4.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.

maxed_out said:
Lukem,+1 sweet. whats the most you ever been ahead? You got room for a hundred cord? That would be something to see.

This is the most I've ever been, or intend to be ahead again. I found myself unable to turn down 30 loads of free oak, most of which was already bucked up and ready to load.

lukem said:
wood spliter said:

No, I go thru about 5. I have 5 for next winter...and then the balance is some oak that isn't going to be ready in time. So I'm technically not even a year ahead...but next year I'll be 4.

Got it!

Man I envy you

lukem said:
I found myself unable to turn down 30 loads of free oak, most of which was already bucked up and ready to load.

Can't blame a guy for that.

Lukem, you are a better man than I am. 30 loads of free oak would be mighty hard to pass on. Nope, don't think I could do that.

Lukem, most of us + me haven't seen that much wood. How about some pictures

xman23 said:
Lukem, most of us + me haven't seen that much wood. How about some pictures

LOL

lukem said:
Just measured...thought I had < 20, but I'm sitting on 22.5 cord c/s/s. Should be able to hit 25 this fall (finish next year's supply) and then take a break until spring.

Thats a strong weekend! ;-)

Here is the current supply

Attachments

• 2011-09-28_19-19-18_948.jpg
    2011-09-28_19-19-18_948.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 726
Here is the current supply

Attachments

• 2011-09-28_19-21-07_954.jpg
    2011-09-28_19-21-07_954.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 680
Last one

Attachments

• 2011-09-28_19-20-42_505.jpg
    2011-09-28_19-20-42_505.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 680
That sure is a lot of wood. Looks like you have them a bit longer than 16"? How do you keep those stacks from falling over?

heatit said:
That sure is a lot of wood. Looks like you have them a bit longer than 16"? How do you keep those stacks from falling over?

It is a mixed bag in terms of length...most was already bucked when I scrounged it. Nothing special, but I tend to stack two rows deep, each leaning to the center to prevent collapse.

lukem said:
heatit said:

It is a mixed bag in terms of length...most was already bucked when I scrounged it. Nothing special, but I tend to stack two rows deep, each leaning to the center to prevent collapse.

Vert nice Lukem, how big of a split will the King take?

Very nice.
Now that you are ahead, it should be easy to stay there.
You can be a little selective but when it's easy to load & bucked up, well you just can't pass it up if you have the space.
Good work!

wg: My King, perfect is 17", NS for the bottom & can take 18" above the front fire brick.
EW loading close to 24" I think.

30 loads of free oak. i would have made room in my dining room for that. lol

lukem said:
wood spliter said:

Everything makes sense if you don't think about it. I am trying to stop thinking about my wood situation, that way it will all make sense. LOL

Was Irene the helpful one that supplied 30 loads? I gotta say I really like your setup there.

My Oslo heats my home said:
Was Irene the helpful one that supplied 30 loads? I gotta say I really like your setup there.

I can't speak for lukem, but I can say that in my part of Indian we didn't see a single rain drop related to Irene. If I had to wager a guess it's just scrounged wood from the normal tree cutting etc.

CountryBoy19 said:
My Oslo heats my home said:

I can't speak for lukem, but I can say that in my part of Indian we didn't see a single rain drop related to Irene. If I had to wager a guess it's just scrounged wood from the normal tree cutting etc.

Nope, not Irene...or any storm for that matter. The outside stacks mostly came from two houses where the homeowners had a tree service take out some large oaks. 13 from one and 17 from the other. 10 minutes away.

The stuff in the barn and a few of the outside stacks were cut just up the road at my neighbors. Lots of hedge, locust, ash, and cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.