22 Cords and counting !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glennm

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2010
S Ontario
Well, we ran out of wood last winter -- went to the bush and been cutting, splitting and stacking since February. Most of the wood was dead standing -- Ash, birch, mpl, oak, ironwood, apple, poplar, etc -- a real mix. Built a new woodshed -- it is 16 x 8, holds 6 cords. There is only oak, ash and apple in the shed. This will sit for at least another year while we burn the stacks that are outside. This should be almost 5 years of wood for us based on what I am normally burning. It was such a beautiful day in Ontario today I just had to take some photos and post them !!

May buy a new stove to help with the burning, I'm thinking about a Woodstock Keystone for the family room. Right now we are using an "Old Timer" (similar to a small Fisher stove) without glass doors. Last year we replaced our ancient insert with a VC Montpellier and the view of the fire is spectacular !! Given me a renewed interest in burning wood. FYI I have been burning wood for almost 40 years. The EPA stoves have really made it fun again !

Attachments

• IMG_4897.jpg
    IMG_4897.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG_4898.jpg
    IMG_4898.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_4899.jpg
    IMG_4899.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 871
  • IMG_4900.jpg
    IMG_4900.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_4901.jpg
    IMG_4901.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 877
Wow!! Fantastic job of getting ahead! You'll give Zap and Sav a run at the rate you're cutting, splitting and stacking.. Very nice wood shelter too.. I do wonder why you didn't stack this years fire wood in the shelter 1st though.. I find it easier to load the wagon while inside the shelter especially in inclement weather so I keep the wagon inside loaded and ready to roll..

Ray

I have an attached garage and a landscape trailer. What I do is drive up to the pile, load up the trailer and back it into the garage. Makes it easy over the winter. I actually had no idea I would cut this much wood, I filled the shed up figuring that would be it but never stopped cutting. I could burn what's in the shed first but the piles outside are covered and using that may make the most sense since the wood in the shed may take a bit longer to season.

Glenn M said:
I have an attached garage and a landscape trailer. What I do is drive up to the pile, load up the trailer and back it into the garage. Makes it easy over the winter. I actually had no idea I would cut this much wood, I filled the shed up figuring that would be it but never stopped cutting. I could burn what's in the shed first but the piles outside are covered and using that may make the most sense since the wood in the shed may take a bit longer to season.

Glenn,
If the wood in the shelter is oak you're looking at 2+ years to season it and ideally 3 yrs that is why I asked that question.. It has to feel great to get way ahead like that! Nice job once again!

Ray

For sure, I doubt I will get to the oak for 3 or maybe even 4 years. It should be plenty dry by then !! We actually did a little milling as well. Have a bit of pine, poplar and birch in the barn.

really an impressive sight...... well done. By the sounds of the winter forcast you'll be in great shape.

Firewood extravaganza. Very impressive. Thanks for the pictures.

Awesome bunch of wood! Guessing at your proportions of medium vs. dense species, this calculator says you have 550,000,000 BTU's of heat available. Good job!

Great bunch of pictures of a really nice wood supply! With that much wood this year, I am really wondering how you ran out last year? Did something happen that you were not able to cut one year? I had an accident in June and not sure if I will be able to cut any this winter. Things do happen and when they do, it is nice to be ahead. Congratulations

Nice job indeed. I went from zero wood since I also ran out last year and I have about 11 cords now. 1 cord of pine that I want to try for the shoulder season that has been CSS since may and 4 cords of mix that has been split since march/April. The last 6 cords are from a grapple load that I got in early summer. About 3 cords oak and 3 cords not oak.

I wish I was as far ahead as you. I'll work on that next year. Can't wait to see how the oak burns in my jotul insert.

Gark said:
...you have 550,000,000 BTU's of heat available. Good job!
More than half a billion BTU. HBBTU, the new standard.

I have been cutting regularly over the last few years but the new insert got me burring 24/7 again and I didn't have enough on hand. My son and I actually cut enough dead wood after work in the late winter to make it through the season. I think the EAB contributed to the inventory, there were a lot of large dead ash trees this spring that I hadn't noticed

Glenn M said:
Well, we ran out of wood last winter -- went to the bush and been cutting, splitting and stacking since February. Most of the wood was dead standing -- Ash, birch, mpl, oak, ironwood, apple, poplar, etc -- a real mix. Built a new woodshed -- it is 16 x 8, holds 6 cords. There is only oak, ash and apple in the shed. This will sit for at least another year while we burn the stacks that are outside. This should be almost 5 years of wood for us based on what I am normally burning. It was such a beautiful day in Ontario today I just had to take some photos and post them !!

May buy a new stove to help with the burning, I'm thinking about a Woodstock Keystone for the family room. Right now we are using an "Old Timer" (similar to a small Fisher stove) without glass doors. Last year we replaced our ancient insert with a VC Montpellier and the view of the fire is spectacular !! Given me a renewed interest in burning wood. FYI I have been burning wood for almost 40 years. The EPA stoves have really made it fun again !

Looks great Glenn M, it's time to kick back and throw down a cold Labatt's.

zap

For sure, a few cold ones while I sharpen the chain!

By the looks of the stacks you have, you must not have much dead wood left to cut up. Wish I was that far ahead. Defitaly a job well done.

Glenn M said:

They always told us the Labatts in the states was the same, I would say no.

zap

zapny said:
Glenn M said:

zap

and you would be right. Labatts has a special seperate operation for export beer as does Molsons.

Good job! The most I ever had on hand was 20, now I keep around 15 or so.

We still have a few dead trees standing. We also have some great "smaller" breweries in Ontario. I live 5 minutes from Sleemans. They make great beer and you could likely find a few dead trees at the side of the road on the way back with your cold brew in the back seat!

Holy Kamoly!! :coolsmile:

All that wood is a beautiful sight.

rottiman said:
zapny said:
Glenn M said:

zap

and you would be right. Labatts has a special seperate operation for export beer as does Molsons.

rottiman, we use to play fastpitch softball in Cornwall Ontario, they always traded a case of Labatt's for a case of Miller, must be it's not sold in Canada. I always thought we were getting the better end of the deal on that.

zap

Great pictures
Wood envy here :)
Your so many years ahead you may go thru woodcutter's withdraws.
Good job!

Thanks for all the comments. I will keep cutting as I burn, hope to stay as far ahead as I am right now. It sure feels good to have that much on hand. Having a new Kubota RTV with a winch sure helped. I also have a Wallenstein splitter that has been working like a champion for 25 years! The tools make the job easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.