220v fan limit switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

werneb01

Oct 6, 2009
Northern WI
Hello,

I have a Northern Leader forced air wood furnace in the basement. The blower went out and I have a good blower off of a gas fired forced air furnace I would like to replace it with. However, the replacement is a 220 volt motor. Do they make a 220v fan limit switch? Or is there a way to use a 110v switch with a relay or something?

Thanks,

Brad

werneb01 said:
Hello,

I have a Northern Leader forced air wood furnace in the basement. The blower went out and I have a good blower off of a gas fired forced air furnace I would like to replace it with. However, the replacement is a 220 volt motor. Do they make a 220v fan limit switch? Or is there a way to use a 110v switch with a relay or something?

Thanks,

Brad

I would be surprised if the 220V motor is not re-wire-able for 120 if you read the insides of the cover plate where the power goes in. If it is not OK for 120, you want a 120 volt coil, DPDT or DPST contact relay so that you can switch both "legs" of the 220. If you cannot take it from there, I don't want to be liable if you blow yourself up.

Another consideration is how close to the wood burner do you have 220V service? Do you really want to mess with adding a 220V circuit just for this fan if one is not readily available?

You could always check out places like grainger.com for a transformer but I'm betting the cost would be more than the fan is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.