23 and ME....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Well, I did the latest genetic testing and I am one fairly endowed (genetically) mongrel. It turns out that Russian and Italian are probably a decent mix......

According to the test, diabetes is the only biggie that I have a larger chance to get - 35% larger than the general population. My grandfather on dads side had it pretty bad and my dad, at 81, has a very slight case...then again, he eats about 5X as much sugar as I do (still).

Maternal DNA appears to be most similar to Northern Scandinavians (Lapps) while paternal is from Northern Africa, Middle East (this was 500 years ago - more recently it would be Russia).

that's kinda neat. Where did you get the testing done? How? Why?

That's awesome. What did that run ya?

A good many people wouldn't want to know the results of such a test.

pen

What's the 23 about? Number of generations checked?

I think we each have 23 pairs or something like that.
This is a company owned by the wife of one of the google founders....

I think it is good to know all this stuff since lifestyle can change many of the percentages....AND, God forbid, if you find some stuff that is genetic you can make decisions in terms of your breeding (kids).....

BG, they get your "type" of your father and mother if you are a male - only the mom if you are female. They then have charts as to where "your people" came from. Those charts are 500+ years ago before people moved in bulk over various continents.

As time goes by, you can find out more and more because they let you hobnob with others there...and they find more and more data as they go.

https://www.23andme.com/

Well, I scored high on this one......well, low I guess!

Hog, I'm coming for ya! Hearth.com IS so easy, even I can admin it...
Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 2.54.12 PM.png

ug, ug. me not sooprized

Wait until I get you with my superior Non-Verbal IQ......
>>

Ugga Boogga - me sharpen stick well and then insert into enemies......
"Subjects' non-verbal IQ performance averaged three points higher."

Of course, if that don't work, my muscle performance will beat you over the head...
"Two working copies of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fiber. Many world-class sprinters and some endurance athletes have this genotype."

lol, that stuff is awesome.

Wait, the Neanderthals died off about 30,000 yrs ago, (Sorry Hog, with a few exceptions.) Sounds like they are going a bit further back.

I have my family history on the paternal side back to the 1500's. 500+ years doesn't seem all that far back to me. I want to be able to claim my lost Egyptian treasure from 2500BC!

webbie- you have earlobes? and did you get wisdom teeth? My Dr. jokes with me that I might be some sort of advanced human cuz I have neither.
(I disagree, I chalk it up to undustrial waste accident/cosmic radiation/magic)

your common place/typical, everyday grey aliens have no earlobes, doncha know. I dont know about the wisdom teeth....they just look at you funny when you ask them to "open up, and say ahhhhhhhh"

genetics are weird business...watch out for sonic hedgehogs!

Wait, the Neanderthals died off about 30,000 yrs ago, (Sorry Hog, with a few exceptions.) Sounds like they are going a bit further back.

I have my family history on the paternal side back to the 1500's. 500+ years doesn't seem all that far back to me. I want to be able to claim my lost Egyptian treasure from 2500BC!

Yep - all non-Africans are part Neanderthanl - turns out they bred with Cro-Magnon
http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics-neanderthal-110718.html

I submitted my DNA to Family Tree DNA about 14 years ago to try & find my family roots. I know only of my GGrandfather from the 1910 Federal Census. His name was John Smith (go figure)...He was 27 in that census so he was born in 1882 or 83... His parents are listed as Irish-English... I have literally THOUSANDS of EXACT matches at 12 markers...92 at 25 markers (Only 1 exact & his surname isn't Smith!)...5 matches at 37 markers (none exact - closest is 3 markers off & the guy who matched me at 25 is 4 markers off)...2 matches at 67 markers (closest is 4 off...( I can narrow my tree to a gentleman born in 1790 in Ireland (4 markers off) - but no paper trail to John in the 1880s...I get notifications a couple of times a month on 12 marker matches..25 marker matches are less frequent, & the higher 37 & 67 even more so...Cost for (4) tests (12, 25, 37 & 67 markers) was about $500, but I did it in stages...FTDNA offers specials every now & again...The family starts in Africa as did everyone's...The migration goes thru the Mideast to Western Europe & to the British Isles, but there are matches across the planet from folks (men) who have submitted their DNA for testing...

Sometimes people we thought were blood related, weren't

I would do it but I don't want law enforcement getting their hands on my DNA.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.