23 days and 39 bags!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Here in central VT the average temp for the month of January was 17*. We had gotten down to our last 4 bags and had another ton delivered on January 15th leaving us with 54 bags. I knew we would need another ton or so to get through the winter, looks like it might be closer to the "or so" part. We have 15 bags left as of today. That gives us a usuage of 39 bags in 23 days or just under 2 bags a day- like 1.7 bags.

Given the fact that we heat the eniter house-less the basement- with the pellet stove (P61A) and we kept the living room (where the stove is) at around 75* and the rest of the house between 67-70, I don't think that's to bad. There were quite a few days when it was below 20, several days where it was in the single digits and quite a few that were below 0* including on night where we hit -26*F.

We have run the furnace, HHO, a few times-more so than in the last year or 2 but are still using far less fuel oil than if we did not have the pellet stove. All in all, I am happy-although that may have to do with the temp being 35* today and being able to shut down the stove to clean it!

Bigjim13 said:
Here in central VT the average temp for the month of January was 17*. We had gotten down to our last 4 bags and had another ton delivered on January 15th leaving us with 54 bags. I knew we would need another ton or so to get through the winter, looks like it might be closer to the "or so" part. We have 15 bags left as of today. That gives us a usuage of 39 bags in 23 days or just under 2 bags a day- like 1.7 bags.

Given the fact that we heat the eniter house-less the basement- with the pellet stove (P61A) and we kept the living room (where the stove is) at around 75* and the rest of the house between 67-70, I don't think that's to bad. There were quite a few days when it was below 20, several days where it was in the single digits and quite a few that were below 0* including on night where we hit -26*F.

We have run the furnace, HHO, a few times-more so than in the last year or 2 but are still using far less fuel oil than if we did not have the pellet stove. All in all, I am happy-although that may have to do with the temp being 35* today and being able to shut down the stove to clean it!

75 degrees I would be sweating. @ 70 degrees I can sit around in skivys and the kids start trying to take their clothes off and ask for water.

Must be the lack of humidity where you live that makes the high room temperatures more tolerable.

You are wasting a lot of heat keeping the place that hot especially with those outside temps.

Checkthisout said:
Bigjim13 said:

75 degrees I would be sweating. @ 70 degrees I can sit around in skivys and the kids start trying to take their clothes off and ask for water.

Must be the lack of humidity where you live that makes the high room temperatures more tolerable.

You are wasting a lot of heat keeping the place that hot especially with those outside temps.

Wasting heat maybe, keeping the wife and daughter happy? Definitely! That's worth a few extra bags of pellets a week in my book! :)

Wasting heat maybe, keeping the wife and daughter happy? Definitely! That's worth a few extra bags of pellets a week in my book! :)[/quote]

I hear ya..Got a Pregnant wife and a 9 year old son. Keep our house at 75 with about 1.5 to 2 bags a day.

To many years of freezing with other heat sources! We keep ours at 72ºF to 74ºF and I will gladly walk around in shorts all winter. Wifes blood thinners seem to make her always cold as she's still in sweat pants and a sweat shirt. I do let it drop to 68ºF at bed time. We seem to sleep better. Wifes happy, I'm happy!

Been burning a little under 2 bags a day here also.
Everyone's comfort level is different so what may
seem a waste to some isn't to others. I am most
comfortable when my house is around 75F.
73F sleeping temp is perfect for me.

j-takeman said:
To many years of freezing with other heat sources! We keep ours at 72ºF to 74ºF and I will gladly walk around in shorts all winter. Wifes blood thinners seem to make her always cold as she's still in sweat pants and a sweat shirt. I do let it drop to 68ºF at bed time. We seem to sleep better. Wifes happy, I'm happy!

I tend to let it cool a bit also around bedtime also. He'll at this rate the way HHO is going pricewise, I could keep our house at 80 and still save money.

Ive been averaging almost 2 bags per day for the past month. Its been damn cold out. Weve had teens or lower for daytime highs. At night we had -15 once and several single digits below.
I boil water. It puts moisture in the air. Moisture holds the heat better.

It's mild today and I still had the stove on #3 setting... took a nap before the game and woke up to 89F in the house...

congrats kroozer on a super hot house and oh ya,great win over the steelers.better team won tonight

I've been averaging about 1.5 bags a day. This little stove does good and is a work horse. On night we had - 28 out and the stove had a hard time keeping up. So the house was in the lower 60's that morning. But - 28 is pretty darn cold. So that morning i turned on my baseboard electric heat to compensate and even then only brought the temp in the house up 4 degrees or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.