Question on Backdraft Dampers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayjamus

Oct 21, 2008
Northern Vermont
I'm getting ready to start ductwork on a Traeger GBU-070 pellet furnace. My manual shows the following for a backdraft damper:

SanbornMaps0007.jpg

It only shows a single damper installed on the pellet furnace plenum. Does this seem right? I don't understand what would prevent the hot air from the pellet furnace from circulating at least a little bit through the oil furnace.

Does it seem like there should be another damper in the main supply plenum, on top of the oil furnace too?

Thanks,

Wayne

You need one on your furnace too.I just put a Harmon PF100 pellet furnace in and did not have a backdraft damper at first,bad mistake you will blow hot air back into your furnace causing the furnace blower to kick on even though you have your thermostat is way down on the wall.Plus your air to your registers will not be as strong because your loosing that air in the furnace.And if you have your cold air return hooked up in parallel with the furnace you will circulate warm air through your return back into the pellet furnace

Sorry to hear of your experience but thanks very much for sharing it.

I was wondering about the fan in the oil furnace kicking on as I think there's a sensor in there too. The bad news is I now have to track down the dampers but hopefully I'll have it burning this weekend.

Thanks again,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.