$24,000 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it just so happens i can get u the best stove ever for $24,000k... paypal me and i'll get u a stove (any stove), install it, buy you 10 cords of wood and even cook you dinner...

Englander makes a good stove from what I hear. The 30 NC is supposed to be the cats a$$ and a very good stove for the money. Some on the forum seam to love them. I have a friend that also has one and he likes it very much. However, I would not waste my money on a Englander 12. I had one for two years and it was the worst stove I ever had. I could not get that thing to burn correctly no matter what I did. And I did just about everything I could think of short of throwing gasoline on it. This stove is much smaller than what your looking at getting. But this is only my opinion.

sorry, i guess my last post wasn't to informative...

you'll probably hear all sorts of opinions... i got a Dutch West cast stove... non-cat...

it's blazing right now... (i've got my ash pan door closed, ha)

people who have it love it and hate it... theres soo many variables to what makes the stove good or not... get one that gets a majority of the votes and if it heats your house then it's a good stove....

right now i'm sitting in my shorts because my house is soo hot and my stove doesn't sit well with many folks, but it's doing what is should... heating

I'm looking at the Englander 30nc and the Drolet HT2000. I think the Drolet is too big for my application though. Is is possible to have too big of a stove? I wanted to be able to burn longer and thought a larger stove would allow this and still heat well. Does the stove have to be burning at a specific (to the stove) temp. or capacity?
High Iron, we're just south of you in Shirley.

paulski said:
I'm looking at the Englander 30nc and the Drolet HT2000. I think the Drolet is too big for my application though. Is is possible to have too big of a stove? I wanted to be able to burn longer and thought a larger stove would allow this and still heat well. Does the stove have to be burning at a specific (to the stove) temp. or capacity?
High Iron, we're just south of you in Shirley.

Short answer is no!! Too warm? build a smaller fire. Now if you have too small a stove and it`s too cold-how are you going to build a larger fire in a tiny firebox?? Longer burntime is achieved in one of two ways.

1--get a stove with as large a firebox as you can (usually 3.0 cu.ft or larger).

2--buy a cat-stove.

Paul, we need more input :)

SF, layout, etc. I've found reversing the way a door opens has a HUGE impact.

*waves from up the WF*

We purchased a Jotul 550 Rockland and had it installed a month ago. Love the stove, 65,000BTU and I believe it! What we struggle with is the advertised burn times. They claim 10 hours, have been able to get 7. Firebox is steel, trim is cast iron. Good looking unit, no smoke, easy to lite. Good luck and do YOUR homework.

We have a 1500sq ranch. Well insulated. Ceiling fans in 4 rooms. The stove will be in the most central room in the house.
Reversing the door?
I think the Englander is the right one. Lots of good feedback.
The Drolet HT2000 has less positive feedback.

I love my Jotul F 3cb, I bought it for all the wrong reasons and got really lucky that its a great stove. I new nothing about the brand name, only wanted a small non-cat stove that I could burn open door. Man I got lucky because this stove burns great, warm and real clean, easy to maintain, glass front for viewing. Really can't say enough good things about it. Take a look at them, I know others on the site like em too.

1500 square feet isn't that big. I would look at something from Pacific Energy if you want a non cat. I have the Summit. I get 8-10 hours burns with it no problem, and so does everyone else on here. It would roast 1500 square feet though.

That's where your problem is. You want a slightly smaller stove that will still burn long. PE has a smaller one that appears to do well.

The best thing for your needs would probably be a cat. The down side is no pretty fire to look at.

paulski said:
OK, so maybe this is the correct question;
Is there a brand or specific wood stove to avoid?
I am looking in the 65,000btu or so range in a steel model.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Vermont Castings, because of the financial, and recent quality problems they're having. I have an old,~1985, V.C. Resolute and love it,(it was given to me) :coolsmile: . I'd never buy from them NOW though. :mad:

Just my $.02
Snyde

snydley said:
paulski said:
OK, so maybe this is the correct question;
Is there a brand or specific wood stove to avoid?
I am looking in the 65,000btu or so range in a steel model.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Vermont Castings, because of the financial, and recent quality problems they're having. I have an old,~1985, V.C. Resolute and love it,(it was given to me) :coolsmile: . I'd never buy from them NOW though. :mad:

Just my $.02
Snyde

What you just said is probably why no one is about to recommend one of those-hmmm, maybe we will honour the warranty, or maybe we won`t--"suckers".. In today`s world -- a buck is a buck, and no one can afford to gamble with it.

Wanna bet???

Just a little more confused now.
What I took from SonnyinBC is that if I want a smaller fire then build a smaller fire in the stove. But if a larger fire is desired then build a larger one. Not possible with a smaller fire box.
But it seems that Karl thinks my application doesn't require anything too big. This makes me think the advice is that I should stay small.
$$$ is an issue for me so I am looking for bang for buck. I also cannot afford a mistake so I am looking into this with a microscope. Maybe too closely, this is where my confusion comes from.

Basically I want to know if the Englander 30nc is a good stove for me with a 1500sq ranch.
Vogelzang and Drolet were contenders until I heard more about them. Vermont Castings is the same.

your on the right track and the englander will do a nice job for you!

paulski said:
Just a little more confused now.
What I took from SonnyinBC is that if I want a smaller fire then build a smaller fire in the stove. But if a larger fire is desired then build a larger one. Not possible with a smaller fire box.
But it seems that Karl thinks my application doesn't require anything too big. This makes me think the advice is that I should stay small.
$$$ is an issue for me so I am looking for bang for buck. I also cannot afford a mistake so I am looking into this with a microscope. Maybe too closely, this is where my confusion comes from.

basically he is saying the pe summit stove is a beast for heat output many of us have them.. you have 1500 sq in a WELL insulated and would centrally locating the stove ... if you crank it and your house is tight... it should have you sweating!! it rated for 3000sq ft
so you could get the smaller stove... which the summit is a 3.0 box and the next one down i believe is 2-2.5!
if money is an issue get a englander they are great stoves for the price plus we have so very good "tech support" (lol) from them on this site.
ps if it were me i would get the summit .. with the ice age coming get the beast!!
i am not biased or anything.....lol
my second choice would be the englander but i would still get the big one i believe its the 50nc or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.