24/7 programmable timer for indirect water storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveM195352

Jul 12, 2008
Belgrade, Maine
New to Forum.
I have a Vaughn top performer plus - S50TPP indirect oil fired water tank- connected to Burnham oil fired boiler - installed 3 years ago - very happy IN WINTER. The summer cycling of cold furnace every time 2-3 minutes of hot water is called for is bothersome at best - annoying at worst. Cold boiler runs for 20 minutes to heat 3-4-5 gallons in Top Performer ($1.75- $2.50). We are wasting way to much oil to heat up cold furnace before it does any good. - then after Top Performer is satisfied, the 180- degrees in boiler sits there and dissipates it's heat into the basement - another waste.

In spring/summer/fall - with 50 gallons of 140 degree water sitting in tank - that is plenty for the occasional use during the day and into the next day. Therefore, would like to limit and control when the furnance comes on.

CAN YOU SUGGEST A 24/7 programmable TIMER THAT CAN BE PUT IN-LINE with the 24V storage tank themostat to "intercept" the signal calling for heat. With our common household usage, this tank arrangement is so wonderful in heat loss, that we could easily go 2 days without firing the boiler -IF we can put a timer on it.

Thank-you in advance for your help

I can't name a specific timer to use. I did put a switch in series with my tank aquastat to shut it off in the winter when I used my wood stove to heat my DHW. The oil boiler would still run for space heating about an hour a day. Your hot water useage sounds pretty minimal. Unless your boiler has a minimum temperature setpoint a cold start boiler depends on the DHW useage in the summer to stay warm and prevent condensation in the boiler which in turn causes corrosion, leaks, shortened lifespan, etc. We have discussed this at length on this forum and obviously everyone takes a side. In the winter it isn't so bad since some boiler losses will go into space heating. I've been running my boiler for 18 years and it looks new inside. Everything cost something, it just depends on which end you pay.

I will think about the timer though.

Mike

All the controls guys use these timers from Grasslin when they want something simple:

https://estore.industrialcontrolsonline.com/default.aspx?itemcode=DIGI20A-24&Page=item+detail

I just found this on a Google; not an endorsement of the seller. The price may be better somewhere else, but I can't find it on the Kele site.

It will run on 24V, and is usually panel mounted. Grasslin makes all kinds of timers both electronic and mechanical.

Hope this helps!

Chris

you guys com on , this is a dead ringer. all you need is a programable thermostat , cut one of the two wires going to the boiler control splice in the programable t-stat and experiment on how long (days) you can go . who cares about room temp. just program the t-stat to come on for an hour 3 times a week .

Wait, that's thinking outside the box! Good idea!

This would work as long as the thermostat programming is flexible enough and not force you into the same schedule on Mon-Fri as some do.

Chris

thank-you for some of the replys.

I am currently using the boliler emergency (red plate) switch. That does certianly work, but would like something a little more automatic for the Wive's concerns. Will try a regular themostat, but am still a little unsure on the wiring.

Thanks again
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.