24/7 Train, Who's on board yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
24/7 for most of the past few weeks. Shut down
on a couple of 50-60F degree days we had.
Looks like Thanksgiving day is forecasted to be another
one of those days, although it's flurrying here now.

24/7 for a little over a week now.....

Not quite yet, temps have fallen enough for us to be at 18 hr burns now. I last fed the stove at 10 pm, the house was at 67 this morning, so I'm happy.

For almost a month, we let it get to a few embers during the day to clean the ash and the stove was down 5 days for the hearth remodel, otherwise we haven't put the other beast (oil furnace) on all fall.

We are cold weather wuss's,
J&K;

BeGreen said:
Not quite yet, temps have fallen enough for us to be at 18 hr burns now. I last fed the stove at 10 pm, the house was at 67 this morning, so I'm happy.

Been burning for a couple of weeks. Running 10 to 15 degrees below normal temps here. My wife will live in a 67 degree house about the same amount of time that yours will live in one with a big black steel stove. :lol:

I've been mostly 24/7 on the Encore since the Fire Dept. guy gave us our 1st inspection, shut down once or twice to diagnose and fix a couple minor leaks in the stove but otherwise it's just easier to keep it going than it is to let it go out, even on the few days where we really didn't "need" it. Most of the time it just sits there chugging along on minimum air, 3-500 griddle temps, no smoke...

I'm not using much wood either, I've been burning about 3 weeks now, and am somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 cord.

The other thing that is interesting is that I'm finding the heat seems to be distributing very evenly all by itself, at least according to the thermometers. The one on the far side of the living room and the one in the hall outside our offices have been showing only about a 1*F difference most of the time, (though it does feel like more of a difference) and this is far less of a difference than we used to get with the smoke dragon. The smoke dragon had a pretty healthy blower on it, the Encore has no blower. We do have a ceiling fan going at a medium speed in the living room where the stove is (24' ceiling) but no other air circulation.

Gooserider

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

Been burning for a couple of weeks. Running 10 to 15 degrees below normal temps here. My wife will live in a 67 degree house about the same amount of time that yours will live in one with a big black steel stove. :lol:

YES! Girl corrie will not condone temperatures that low either. I've been running th heat pump a little to keep the chill out because it has been too warm for a fire, but with the thermo set at 66, she is not a happy camper. I know she keeps bumping the temp up while i'm at work. I think i'm going to put a locking case over it.

Corie said:
[
YES! Girl corrie will not condone temperatures that low either.
I know she keeps bumping the temp up while i'm at work.
I think i'm going to put a locking case over it.

I'd rethink that locking case stuff young grasshopper.:bug:
Women don't take kindly to that crap.

zeta said:
Corie said:
[
YES! Girl corrie will not condone temperatures that low either.
I know she keeps bumping the temp up while i'm at work.
I think i'm going to put a locking case over it.

I'd rethink that locking case stuff young grasshopper.:bug:
Women don't take kindly to that crap.

Master Po say "Young stove engineer who lock thermostat come home to cool reception and night sleeping in Five Forks Road burn lab."

have been running the pellet stove for 2 weeks now 24/7. Yesterday morning it was 9 degrees outside. I will only shut it down for a few minutes to clean it. I will run it constant until it warms up. I figure that will be in april sometime.

I've been burning 24/7 here in Connecticut. I have to, because I have electric heat.

BrotherBart said:
reaperman said:
Only had three fires so far all year. It has to get into the low 20's or teens for me to light-up otherwise it gets just too hot. The highs have been in the 30's lately, so the house just doesnt get very cool. It maintains around 68 and night and low 70's during the day. The basement a bit cooler. No argument here, perfect weather for cutting, splitting, stacking, etc.

What is maintaining that 68 and 70 if you aren't burning? Body heat?

The insulation is doing its job.

Corie, bad plan dude, don't do it.

Corie, good God man, listen to reason.

Why for you no give wife nice fire in woodstove? Not like you no work in place where stoves are made! Not like you no design and test stoves for a living! No make big paycheck like Mr. Mike? Shame on Mr. Mike!

You're about the last person on this board with an excuse for not keeping his house above 75 at all times.

Not 24 7 yet but pretty steady overnite for most of the past week or so. There has been a lot of cold nights here in the North Woods lately with lots of wind. Still at least when there is no one but me the vampire night worker at home I leave the stove off for the most part. A couple quilts and 50 is as good as 70 when you are sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.