24" bar max on 460 but only 20" on 555??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in PA - I'm not sure PennDOT guys wait until quitting time!

Reactions: TreePointer
Well. We are gunning for some larger wood this week so put the 24" bar in the 555. Here she is.

The longest small mount I can find unless anyone here has longer or atleast a link?

Reactions: Turbo and Bigsby
24" on 60cc is going to be mighty slow and frustrating. I'd venture to say 28" - 32" just won't pull at all, buried in any sort of hardwood actually requiring a bar of that size.

Reactions: Jon1270
Here's a 28". I'm not saying the 555 will pull it well, but K095 is Oregon's designation for Husqvarna small-mount.

Here's a 32".

Thanks Jon, I was looking at them Oregon bars last night on ebay. Awful lot of teeth to file. Advantage is you can cut wood without having to bend over.

24" on 60cc is going to be mighty slow and frustrating. I'd venture to say 28" - 32" just won't pull at all, buried in any sort of hardwood actually requiring a bar of that size.

I guess you are right regarding them 28"+ bars. But, I have ran the 24" in the past and she rips, I imagine its more about cutting technique and carefully conditioning the chain. Keep the rackers high.

Buried in big Larch / Fir the saw has little trouble cutting, green or dry. The oiler can just about keep up.

It sounds like the oiler is the limiting factor, not power.

Reactions: Bigsby
Managed to get out and warm the 24" bar up.

Here is the largest stuff we go after around here. Although I've cut bigger Fir.

Full comp chain. Probably the upper limit of the stock saw. Maybe next time I will try a Skip or Semi Skip.

Reactions: Bigsby
I wonder if the 555 is running a different type chain? like heavier ?

A stock 555, like mine, runs a 3/8", .050 chain. Mine came with a full chisel type.

Status
Not open for further replies.