24 Tons Stolen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mc2055

Dec 31, 2008
Hudson Valley,NY
Staff report
ADDISON
24 tons of wood pellets stolen
Twenty-four tons of wood pellets worth $6,000 were stolen from Instantheat Wood Pellets Inc. on
state Route 417 in Addison, state police at Painted Post said.
Troopers said the theft occurred between 2 p.m. Saturday and 6 p.m. Monday.
They said the pellets were packaged in white bags bearing the Instantheat logo and were stacked and
wrapped one ton to a pallet.
Police said Instantheat is offering a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the
person or persons responsible for the theft
They ask that anyone with information call (607) 962-3282 or (607) 962-6865.

I bet we will have some good deals on craigs list in that area soon

Geez, I think if I were going to be a thief, I'd specialize in something with a little higher value to weight & volume ratio. Much lower initial capital outlay for the required tools of my trade. Rick

Me smells a rat......I wonder if they really had all those pellets.

with all that weight it had to be an inside job, who has a rig at their house and a fork lift to load this stuff

I'm as big a "Pellet Pig" as the next guy but 24 tons?????? That is a "Pellet Hog".......

May be it was the guys from New England pellets LLC, they felt bad and wanted to fill the orders they screwed people out of

Well, at least they were able to get a full load. Must have had a full length flat bed and I assume a separate truck with the forklift. Pretty ballsy to pull off a job like that given the size. I guess the secret is looking like you belong there, just picking up a load like any other day...

mralias said:

probably, because they are junk and no one wants them..

No wonder there`s a shortage!
This could even cause the price of pellets to go up .

Wet1 said:
Well, at least they were able to get a full load. Must have had a full length flat bed and I assume a separate truck with the forklift. Pretty ballsy to pull off a job like that given the size. I guess the secret is looking like you belong there, just picking up a load like any other day...

Agreed.
Who would question a loaded flatbed coming out of a wood pellet plant?
If they don't have one already, time to get a gate to block the entrance so it can be
closed after hours. May not stop thieves but will slow them down some.

stoveguy2esw said:
standard load for a semi (53 footer) trailer is 22 tons , so they must have had more than one vehicle at least

Not sure that if I was stealing pellets I'd quibble about a couple of tons of load capacity on my rig. ;-P Rick

mralias said:

Yep,

seems like an awful lot of work and equipment and time needed for that type of money.

the chance of being caught would be huge. People didn't see lots of pellets leaving?

Joe Shmoe on Craigslist suddenly has a lot of pellets to sell. This wouldn't alarm anyone?

Mark :)

Webmaster said:
...The pellets were in bags and each approx 1/4" in diameter and 1" or less long, although some were longer. %-P

Dang! Those are some small bags! Rick

Assuming an average elephant weighs about 6 tons and there were 24 tons of pellets...............aaaaaaahhhhhh carry the 2............. That would be like hiding 4 elephants.......

I go by this plant frequently. Its not unusual to see a flatbed trailer sitting on their lot loaded. So if some trucker had the nads to back up, hook and go which wouldn't take that long, it would be an easy thing to do. Not to mention trucks come and go when their schedule permits and is usually conveinent for them. Although in our local newspaper it didn't say anything about a trailer, which would make the value of product stolen more like in the $36000 range I'm assuming that this didn't happen. I've personally unloaded a full trailer of wood pellets by hand and can say this isn't something that is done in 20 mins or even an hour with 4 people. I can't understand how the people that live across the street wouldn't have noticed vehicles and commotion there but I am a pretty light sleeper and wake up a the slightest noise. Whoever did it has guts!

It sounds like maybe somebody owed somebody some money.

I remember when a particular home builder went bad on his payments. It took us two hours to remove every bit of wiring from one of the finished homes. Boy those were the days! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.