25 bags left before I return to burning oil for this season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bungalobob

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2008
central ct
I bought 3 tons of pellets for a partial burning season beginning in December. I'm down to 25 bags and after searching high and low I refuse to pay $275-$325 a ton. It would have been cheaper burning oil this winter, but I wanted to break in the stove and get any kinks out if there were any. I love the heat it puts out and the look of a fire, but at these prices for pellets the stove has become a luxury instead of a cheaper alternative. Been checking on the early buy programs, seen prices around $225-$235 a ton to get pellets in May/June. I'll stock up then, but that is still alot of cash, considering how low oil is right now. I kind of liked being green (but honestly not the main reason for getting a pellet stove), and not supporting oil barons across the seas and at home, but with times the way they are, you have to do what you have to do.

Scrib said:
How long will the remaining 25 bags usually last?
Probably about 2 weeks, I have been averaging about a bag and three quarters a day. Warmer weather is just around the corner, heck it's spring training for baseball down in Florida!

Burning 24x7?

bungalobob said:
Scrib said:
How long will the remaining 25 bags usually last?
Probably about 2 weeks, I have been averaging about a bag and three quarters a day. Warmer weather is just around the corner, heck it's spring training for baseball down in Florida!

Absolutely! Have it on room temp mode and let it go. The only time I shut down is when I clean it. Running 24/7 is the whole purpose of having the pellet stove.

bungalobob said:
Absolutely! Have it on room temp mode and let it go. The only time I shut down is when I clean it. Running 24/7 is the whole purpose of having the pellet stove.

Your burn pot doesnt get clogged after 8-10 hours of use?

OU812 said:
bungalobob said:

No, I have a Harman P68, and the pellets are bottom fed with an augur. As pellets burn to ash, more pellets are pushed in that in turn push the ash over the edge into a large ashpan beneath. The ashpan can hold up to a tons worth of ash from quality pellets. Real nice stove, lots of heat output. I saw the ones without ashpans and was not about to get into that much cleaning.

Check around and you may find some unadvertised specials. There may be a local hardware store with an overstock that hasn't sold any in a while, or a stove shop that discounts individual bags from a broken pallet. You don't need a ton, but if you can buy 4-5 bags a few more times you might be all set.

bungalobob said:
It would have been cheaper burning oil this winter, I love the heat it puts out and the look of a fire, but at these prices for pellets the stove has become a luxury instead of a cheaper alternative. considering how low oil is right now. I kind of liked being green (but honestly not the main reason for getting a pellet stove), and not supporting oil barons across the seas and at home, but with times the way they are, you have to do what you have to do.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly.

OU812 said:
bungalobob said:

Your burn pot doesn't get clogged after 8-10 hours of use?
I think I've only stopped my stove three or four times so far since Nov, other than that it runs 24/7. The Harmans run very smoothly w/o daily or even weekly cleanings. I just scrape the pot a few times a week in my P38 (although this isn't truly needed). I dump the ash pan and vacuum the stove after every ton of pellets used, that's all I have to do.

And Bob, I agree with you. When you can buy oil for $2 a gallon (I've seen it for far less in CT over the last week w/o even shopping around for it), it seems silly to spend $275+ for a ton of pellets.

As it stands today, I've pretty much had it with the pellet industry after 8 years of unstable pricing. I should have two tons of pellets left over at the end of this season. I haven't decided if I'm going to sell these pellets, along with my pellet stoves at the end of the season, or use the remaining pellets next year and then reevaluate the market for limited future usage once I'm out. I'll probably hold onto the P38 for the shoulder seasons since it burns so nicely on a low burn, and then switch over to wood during the winter. But I can tell you this should be my last season of burning more than a ton of pellets per year.

I'm sort of hoping people think like you, and there will be a surplus of pellets this summer. Sounds like you have a lot of options. I do not have a fireplace, or place for a woodstove. My only option was a pellet stove with the OAK. I am very happy despite not saving money this year because instead of sitting in a 60-63 degree house all winter, it's been 70-73. Our great room would just not get heated using the furnace. The oil man's solution was to turn up the hot water temperature on the furnace. I paid $250/ton, and have a little over a ton left. If I can pay the same, I would be happy. I realize there are probably not a lot of people in my position, and so will see many people abandoning their pellet stoves. We'll see what happens....

Stove has been off and I've been burning oil for ten days now. Not giving up my stove tho.
90 bags left in the garage will be saved for the Fall of 09. Will add 2 tons to my stash if
and only if, the pellet prices come down enough to make it worthwhile over the oil.

For the past 2 months, I have started running the stove part-time and letting
the furnace take over at nite if/when needed. I expect to have close to
a ton left over by the end of the season now.

I have no intentions of giving up my stove but it does not make sense for
me to run it full time when pellet prices are so high.

I cannot control the pellet prices directly, but I can control how much I will be
purchasing this year.

For the newbs.....$275.00-$300.00 a ton is NOT a deal.

Irwin fletcher said:
Pellets Direct in Uxbridge, Mass. 199.00/ ton for their furnace pellets, too long in lenght to be premium, some fines, but not too hard, that the auger can't handle.Bought 3 tons, and swear by them...I agree with you, not cheap to be GREEN, but, all the pellet rep's are Pellet Pig's themselves...Good luck..

I got their cheap-o's this year . "Instant Heat" And was less then impressed with them. I don't think I'd go with an even cheaper brand then those - I tend to think that these would be just that.

As it stands today, I’ve pretty much had it with the pellet industry after 8 years of unstable pricing. I should have two tons of pellets left over at the end of this season. I haven’t decided if I’m going to sell these pellets, along with my pellet stoves at the end of the season, or use the remaining pellets next year and then reevaluate the market for limited future usage once I’m out. I’ll probably hold onto the P38 for the shoulder seasons since it burns so nicely on a low burn, and then switch over to wood during the winter. But I can tell you this should be my last season of burning more than a ton of pellets per year.

Im switching to wood as my main heat next year too. I have access to cheap firewood. I may put my stove up for sale and sell it if I can get a decent price, if not I'll move it to my other fireplace and use it on those not so cold days.

I am also reaching the end of the rope as are some neighbors and friends. When you cannot get fuel to run the stove or it is priced higher than other heating options then one has to do what he has to do.

You guys are countin the chickens fur they done hatching here. I wouldn’t sell the stoves just yet. You all know the price of oil is going to be higher this coming fall. With all these new pellet mills there has to be a better market coming(hopefully).

Oh’ wait (what the heck am I saying)! The more people that switch to what ever is less I will have to tussle with to get my pallets next fall! (jk)

All kidding a-side, I would keep all my options open. I have a multifuel stove-A woodstove and baseboard electric. I’ll use what gives me the best bang for the money. Better to have more than one source to fall back on.

Going by the fuel calculators, Corns going to be my best deal for next year. Unless something changes.

just mt 2

jay

You guys are countin the chickens fur they done hatching here. I wouldn’t sell the stoves just yet. You all know the price of oil is going to be higher this coming fall. With all these new pellet mills there has to be a better market coming(hopefully).

Oh’ wait (what the heck am I saying)! The more people that switch to what ever is less I will have to tussle with to get my pallets next fall! (jk)

All kidding a-side, I would keep all my options open. I have a multifuel stove-A woodstove and baseboard electric. I’ll use what gives me the best bang for the money. Better to have more than one source to fall back on.

Going by the fuel calculators, Corns going to be my best deal for next year. Unless something changes.

just mt 2

jay

You make a good point, thats why Im leaning towards keeping the pellet stove and just installing it in the other fireplace. We also may look back next winter as $275 for pellets as being a deal if oils $4-5 and pellets are $350. I guess its better to keep all options open.

bungalobob said:
OU812 said:
bungalobob said:

No, I have a Harman P68, and the pellets are bottom fed with an augur. As pellets burn to ash, more pellets are pushed in that in turn push the ash over the edge into a large ashpan beneath. The ashpan can hold up to a tons worth of ash from quality pellets. Real nice stove, lots of heat output. I saw the ones without ashpans and was not about to get into that much cleaning.

I can't speak for others especially those with top feeders, but I have been burning my top feeder 24/7 and only shut her down every 3rd day. I can honestly tell you that I don't even begin to have a full or clogged burn pot, just an awful lot of ash around it(I don't have a ash pan). I realize by design, bottom feeders are less prone to "filling" than their counterparts, but I don't have this concern/problem @ all. I do stir the pot 1 or 2 times per day but I don't remove any ash from it.

I have no intention of getting rid of my stove, I am just going to buy the least inexpensive fuel to heat my house. I'll pick up my pellets when the prices are down and reasonable. With the news of more pellets plants opening, maybe there is good news on the horizon.

Wet1 said:
And Bob, I agree with you. When you can buy oil for $2 a gallon (I've seen it for far less in CT over the last week w/o even shopping around for it), it seems silly to spend $275+ for a ton of pellets.

As it stands today, I've pretty much had it with the pellet industry after 8 years of unstable pricing. I should have two tons of pellets left over at the end of this season. I haven't decided if I'm going to sell these pellets, along with my pellet stoves at the end of the season, or use the remaining pellets next year and then reevaluate the market for limited future usage once I'm out. I'll probably hold onto the P38 for the shoulder seasons since it burns so nicely on a low burn, and then switch over to wood during the winter. But I can tell you this should be my last season of burning more than a ton of pellets per year.

I have to say i'm feeling this way too. This is season 4 of using my stove as our primary heat and with the way prices are sitting i'm having a hard time justifying the extra work. I picked up a Rinnai 1004 over the weekend and I am planning on installing it in place of the pellet stove in the off season. More than likely i'll hold onto the stove in case of another crazy oil spike, but at this point i'm probably willing to pay up to 10-15% more for the convenience of propane. I'm definitely a bit disappointed in what has happened in the pellet industry. In fairness, it would have been tough for them to predict what has happened to the prices of raw materials, and the price of oil, but it still feels like pellet prices (and supply) have been mismanaged. I just don't feel like playing the pre-buy game again this year and calling around to 10 places to see where I can get a reasonable price.
We'll ee, mayb i'll feel diferently after a year of dealing exclusively with the proPAIN company. :shut:

I had some trouble finding pellets, paid $250 for the ton, but here in KY. electric is cheap, and I installed Carrier's Infinity series heat pumps, so I only burn my stove when it gets below 30*...
Next year, I plan on buying mine in July, I only buy and burn a ton a year, so it isn't that big of a problem for me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.