25" Bar on a MS290?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why its still in great shape! %-P

Yeah there is NO way. I have an 18" bar on mine and it maybe could run a 20" bar ok, but I'd say that's it.

But Adios, if cutting that size he certainly did not need a longer bar! I run mine with a 16" and it does fine. Yes, I could run a longer bar but simply do not need it nor do I need the extra weight.

Backwoods Savage said:
But Adios, if cutting that size he certainly did not need a longer bar! I run mine with a 16" and it does fine. Yes, I could run a longer bar but simply do not need it nor do I need the extra weight.

I was just being my typical sarcastic jerk self!

I realized that and that is why I shot back at you. ;-)

I have a 20" on my own MS290 and I'd give a guess that it is about the biggest the saw can safely handle. Hope that helps.

turbocruiser said:
I have a 20" on my own MS290 and I'd give a guess that it is about the biggest the saw can safely handle. Hope that helps.

Yep, that is how they sell them out here at the dealership. 20" bar 3/8 pitch .050 gauge

It can pull it. Not as well as a bigger saw. What I worry about is the oiler.

The 290 usually comes with a 16-18" .325, .063 bar & chain here. The 20" bar doesn't do well buried in eastern hardwoods.

Cutting hardwoods I feel like an 18" bar on my MS310 is the absolute max. I borrow my brothers man-sized Husky with a 24" and 30+" bar if I need to go bigger.

Cutting red oak this spring made me want more hp's on my 18" bar even with full chisel chain. Can't justify a new saw just yet...

I run a 20" full chisel on my 029. It works for me whether I am blasting through 6" or 8" small stuff or I have the nose buried in a 30" Red Oak. It just isn't as fast as a pro saw would be. I would not go any bigger that the Stihl recommended 20" though. Maybe the a bigger bar would be OK in Western softwoods, if like me, you are OK with a somewhat slower cutting and more affordable farm saw rather than a pro saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.