25-EP and the bouncing pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AddictiveStew

Burning Hunk
Mar 13, 2013
PA
Has anyone had pellets just bouncing out of the burnpot into the ash pan and down the air wash? I love my stove but it just seems to toss pellets all over the place. I assume they hit the burn pot and just bounce out into various areas. It also accumulates quite a bit of ash on the ledges around the glass. I'm assuming that maybe the fake logs would help remedy both issues? I've left them out because the fell on top of the flame overnight last week and redirected the flame. Wasn't a huge fan of that. I know it's just semantics but anyone have any suggestions on getting around these little issues?

Thanks!

That sounds like you're giving it too much air. Do you have a damper control?

You want the pellets to dance around a bit in the burn pot, but not bounce right out.

Someone else had issue with pellets bouncing out and made a pot lip extension.

Reactions: AddictiveStew
well enough to fill up the air wash a bit, and quite a few in the ash pan. Maybe I do need to make some sort of extension. I will be changing to Turman's very soon (almost out of the crappy ones) so we shall see how well they bounce! lol... Did you have to make any changes to your burn settings for the Turmans? Or are you running factory 1-4-1?

I typically run at 4-4-1....I needed to cut that back to 3-4-1 with the Turman's and Somersets I believe.....I might have bumped the air to 5 but don't quite remember.

hrm... I do notice that the flame fluctuates quite drastically at times. Wonder if I should toy around with those settings a bit. I'm sure it's posted somewhere but can you give me a quick and dirty rundown of how to change that? I tried searching and maybe I missed it...

hrm... I do notice that the flame fluctuates quite drastically at times. Wonder if I should toy around with those settings a bit. I'm sure it's posted somewhere but can you give me a quick and dirty rundown of how to change that? I tried searching and maybe I missed it...
First, press the bottom button you want to change, and then press both up or down arrows at the same time.

Had this done to the burn put this year. Seems to be working excellently. It's a 1" lip added at a 45 degree angle on the three sides of the burn pot.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380590704032.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380590704032.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 301
I had a 25-epi and used to leave the logs in just to control the bounce and ash build up. Worked for me...

Had a local welding shop add some stock material to it. They charged me 40 bucks.

So after speaking with Mike at Englander he suggested that I put the log back in because it acts as a backboard for the pellets. Since then, I've had almost zero pellets drop into the ash pan. Now the real kicker, the burn pot is accumulating ash and building clinkers daily! I think wedging the log in is displacing the burn pot and disrupting airflow. The flame used to be "precise" and now it is more all over the place and not uniform at all. It is also much higher than it used to be. Does anyone have any suggestions? Mike suggested that I maybe buy a PAH burn pot if I don't want to use the log set. I'm about to pull the trigger on that but I just wanted a second opinion to see if everyone thinks that the burn pot displacement by the log is causing my issue?

I had the same issue, hence the reason I don't use the log set.

I had the same issue, hence the reason I don't use the log set.

Good to know, thanks! I'll let the pellets bounce out for now until I can get a different burn pot or have mine welded like yours. Not sure when I'd have the time to get that done...

I looked at a video of a PAH unit online and the burn put looked identical to ours.

Mine do a little bit when the thing first starts but not after it's running for a 20 mins so I didn't worry about. Glad I read this thread in case it happens ..... plus I want to be a Englander stove encyclopedia in case anything goes wrong I can fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.