25-EP Burn Pot Overflow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mursebuzz

Aug 30, 2014
Southwestern PA
I have a 25-EP purchased from AM/FM. Stove has been awesome thus far this winter, heating my entire home! I installed the stove myself as well as the cold air return englander suggests. Stove is piped through the wall to a clean out tee then up about 3 ft. The normal install. I clean the stove about every two days, the vents every few weeks and I dont miss a spot. I was burning Hamers and now Green team pellets. Setting are 1-4-1, usually burning on 5/9, 2-3/9 when it gets too hot. On to my issue...

Over the last month or so my burn pot has been over flowing on a more frequent basis. Stove was a champ and would go over an entire day without needing cleaned, now 12 hours or so and it goes out due to a huge build up of pellets. Also my glass becomes black with soot after a few hours of burning. Im going to clean out the combustion blower tomorrow and well as whatever piping I can reach with my shop vac. My cold air return is open, auger seems to be working as it did day one. Any suggestions for me?? Oil isnt cheap :( Thank you in advance.

-Also forgot to mention, I just replaced the seal on the ash bin, as the dollar bill trick showed some gaps.. no help tho.

Last edited:
Im pretty new to this so... I emtpy the burn pot, ash bin, lower the vent on the top and vaccuum the vents that run down and well as what is resting on the shelf. Every few weeks I unscrew the vents near the bottom and clean what has accumulated inside. This ash is usually white fluffy stuff. I will knock out the clean out tee every week or so, usually filled with black stuff.

You are missing a lot in your cleaning. ESW usually has a decent information on cleaning their stoves. Likely you haven't removed the combustion blower (don't do that without having a gasket available because the one that is there generally gets ruined in taking the blower motor and fan off for cleaning, .How many pellets have you burned since the combustion blower was last cleaned?

Well it is likely to be due then. I try to do a deep clean at the one ton mark plus or minus the weather situation.

You can attempt to compensate for the current situation by raising the LBA by 1, however a good cleaning is what is really called for.

My stove did the same thing a couple of years ago. It was the pellets I was using. I had to bump my LBA up to 7 and clean the burn pot every day to get through that batch of pellets. They would quickly fill the burn pot with a hard biscuit and start building back up the chute. I made a two foot long nozzle out of rubber hose that fits down the exhaust channels behind the baffle plate. I clean once a week using the hose and once a month I take the cleanout plates off. Even then there is little ash because the hose reaches right to them. You can easily inspect your exhaust fan by sliding your stove ahead and looking straight in the exhaust tube in the back. The fan itself is readily visible. I remove my fan once a year in the summer to clean and inspect, and use red high temp silicone instead of a gasket.

Your convection blower has nothing to do with the optimization of the burning of the pellets. Did you change brands of pellets lately?

yeah changed from blend to hardwood also discovered while cleaning i had a substansle exhaust blockage. Do u know if the 25-ep has a mode setting