25 PDV Buying a Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome

Oct 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi, can you buy a Standard Thermostat for pellet Stoves? I would assume you do NOT have to buy one directly from the manufacturer of the stove, right? I was thinking of getting it at a Home Depot or Menards. the cost will probably be Half the price at the above stores, other than the manufacturer.
I know Honeywell makes all kinds of thermostats, can anyone pin point the Wall Thermostat I will need for my stove? And is it a good thing to Install one Generally? It does get too Hot in my house, and I have been messing with settings all the time, and just Can't get them right!
I have tried all the number combination's in the Lower 3 button settings, as well as the Heat range and Blower settings. There are slight changes when I do that, but I just want More Control installing a Thermostat. Any other ideas?

I have a 25 PDV Englander Stove Made 07/2004

Thank You!

a Thermostat will only give you high, low heat, it will not start or shut down your stove.if your house is very energy efficient IMO this may not work for you (think of your stove running on it's lowest setting), I'm sure someone will chime in on the type of thermostat you would need if you decide to go this route.

you'll need to check the specs on thermostats. it has to be millivolt compatable. you can find them pretty cheap @ lowes/home depot/walmart etc. as far as being too hot in your house, the stove will only "idle down" to heat range 1 when the t-stat stops calling for heat/and burn on whatever heat setting the stove is set at. the blower speed is not controlled by a t-stat. i have mine on a t-stat and i'm happy with the way it performs. i'm not familiar with your recent outside temps or heating demands, but its been my experience that i cannot run my pdvc if its above 45 degrees outside-----my inside temps will steadily creep beyond 80. during the mid-winter though the thermostat works like a charm--taking the guesswork out of stove settings. in the manual englander suggests 9 heat/9 blower for t-stat operation. i generally dont set mine any higher than 7 heat/9 blower. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.