25-PDV englander exhaust baffle thing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grunyon

Jan 25, 2013
Hey guys. My Englander 25-PDV has a baffle plate that slides up and in, rests on the tabs above the fire pot, and leans forward a bit. This leaves about a quarter inch or more gap between the back of the firebox and the plate. The manual says it's supposed to be sitting flush, but leaning forward a little.

This englander model I have pictured below has a different design on the baffle plate thing that actually makes it sit flat up against the back of the stove. I imagine this affects the heat exchanger that's back there a lot.

Is it better to have a gap or should it be flush?

http://imgur.com/S3Ygg1D

Install it exactly the way the owners manual says.....don't worry what other models do.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/impingement-plate-position-forward-or-back.60653/ for more info....
but what I don't understand is that the right tap on the bottom of the impingment plate is over my vacuum switch hole. Why is that?

Also harvey schneider indicated in the thread hyperlinked above that....
I just crammed the impingement plate against the back wall of the stove and tightened the tabs that hold it. I don't know if anybody recalls that in another thread I commented that the right side of my stove was running almost 100 degrees F hotter than the left. With the plate in its proper position, both sides are running within a few degrees of each other. I lowered the burn setting from 5 to 4 and the stove temperature is 40 degrees higher than it was before (under similar conditions), I also noticed that the flue external temperature is lower. It used to be about 115 now it is below 100. The last observation could be due to the lower setting. Either way, it points to higher efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.