25-PDV - Honeywell thermostat installation - Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BangorPellet

Dec 28, 2008
Central Maine
This may have been discussed earlier but I have apparently missed it. I recently had my 25-PDV installed and very much do enjoy it. The only problem is that it gets much to warm in my home on a 1-1 setting. I purchased a Honeywell RTH6300B programmable thermostat and am now wondering how exacly to hook this up to my stove. I removed the back and unscrewed the control panel. I removed the jumper from the thermostat connection block. I’m not sure where to go from there as the Pellet stove and thermostat manuals don’t address this in any length. Do I use plain 18 gauge twisted wire to connect to the thermostat. I’m wondering how far I can go. Initial setting on the thermostat/pellet stove?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BangorPellet said:
This may have been discussed earlier but I have apparently missed it. I recently had my 25-PDV installed and very much do enjoy it. The only problem is that it gets much to warm in my home on a 1-1 setting. I purchased a Honeywell RTH6300B programmable thermostat and am now wondering how exacly to hook this up to my stove. I removed the back and unscrewed the control panel. I removed the jumper from the thermostat connection block. I’m not sure where to go from there as the Pellet stove and thermostat manuals don’t address this in any length. Do I use plain 18 gauge twisted wire to connect to the thermostat. I’m wondering how far I can go. Initial setting on the thermostat/pellet stove?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheapest and easiest thing to do is to use 2 wire T-stat wire from HD or Lowes. Connect them to the connection block where you removed the jumper. Then look at your manual for the t-stat and attach the wires the same way as a standard zone valve for a heating system. The t-stat is simply an advanced switch, so the polarity of the wires don't matter.

The bigger problem that you are going to have though is that if you are already too warm at the 1-1 setting, the t-stat won't help you. All the T-stat does is cycle between 1-1 and a higher setting (that you set on the stove). It does not turn the stove off. You may need to adjust the Low Burn Air and Low Fuel Feed buttons at the bottom of the control panel to minimize the amount of pellets feeding into the stove. Factory settings are 6-4-1 for the bottom three buttons. You may want to adjust the fuel feed down to 5 or 4. Try reducing the setting and wait about 15 minutes to see what it does. If it still is not low enough, bump it down again.

Good Luck!

Much appreciated! On a item you had mentioned. Is there any way, or rather, is there a t-stat out there that CAN turn the stove off/on at programmed times once a desired temp is reached?

Not in this model of stove. There is a different version, older I think, that can. To have it turn on and off on it's own, you would need to probably look at a different stove.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.