25-PDV Over Temp Limit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nogo8188

Dec 9, 2012
Good morning!
I believe I'm having an over temp limit issue with my England Stove Works 25-PDV stove. I've read several threads that mention this problem, but I'm having trouble finding a clear answer what part I need to buy and replace to resolve the issue. My stove fires up fine, and runs properly for about 20 minutes. Then, the top auger will shut off, reducing the burn pot to contain just burning embers. After a while, the top auger will engage again and build the fire up. It will continue this cycle all day, and therefore produce very little heat. The ash that is produced during this cycle is also very black, and coats the inside of the stove. The problem occurred abruptly. Stove worked great one day, and not so good the next. I gave the stove a very thorough cleaning, since I know that's always the first place to start. Any advice you have would be great!

Good morning!
I believe I'm having an over temp limit issue with my England Stove Works 25-PDV stove. I've read several threads that mention this problem, but I'm having trouble finding a clear answer what part I need to buy and replace to resolve the issue. My stove fires up fine, and runs properly for about 20 minutes. Then, the top auger will shut off, reducing the burn pot to contain just burning embers. After a while, the top auger will engage again and build the fire up. It will continue this cycle all day, and therefore produce very little heat. The ash that is produced during this cycle is also very black, and coats the inside of the stove. The problem occurred abruptly. Stove worked great one day, and not so good the next. I gave the stove a very thorough cleaning, since I know that's always the first place to start. Any advice you have would be great!

Check the voltage at your convection blower. Most common is the convection motor is on its way out and not moving the heat out of the exchanger causing the high limit switch to open.

Sounds like its running as if on a t-stat, hi/low. 20 minutes is not enough time for the stove to build up any amount of heat. Did you have a power surge?

I'll check the convection blower. What voltage should I expect to find?

And I didn't have a power surge that I know of. I went on vacation, and when I came back the stove suddenly started to act funny. It's not connected to an external thermostat, so I wonder if something happened internally.

Is there any way to reset the stove to
Factory settings? Would that possibly help?

Hey guys
As it turns out, the vacuum switch that is wired in sequence with the upper auger failed. I by passed the switch, and everything is working fine again. I have a new switch on order with England. Thanks for all the advice, I hope this thread helps out in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.