25-PDV questions/concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EWILT said:
Could there be the chance that if you run your fan on 9 and your heat on say 3, you are actually cooling the heated air? Just a question as I'm trying to get the most heat out of every pellet burned.

Eric

I started using a t-stat on mine this month, and since the weather hasn't been that cold the stove usually idles at a feed rate of one and the fan on nine. The air coming out of the stove is still very warm.

Filled the hopper last night at 10pm with the heat range on 1, blower on 4, low fuel feed on 4 and used a whole hopper of fuel before 8am !!!!! the gate in the hopper is closed as far as it will go. no un burned pellets either. What a pc of crap

It does sound like you got a lemon. A bag should last about 24hrs on low. What are you're three bottom buttons set at?

You have the PDV not the PDVC correct? I ask because I have the PDVC, but I believe they use the same control board. The first number controls the amount of pellets being fed when your stove is running in its low settings, 1 and 2. The second number is the combustion air control also when on low. Lowering the first number should slow down the amount of pellets being fed to make a bag last you about 24 hrs.

XCR, I'm not a stove tech but I'll try to help. This may seem like a silly question but when you say that the plate in the hopper is closed all the way you do mean that you've moved it so that the opening over the auger is smaller, right? It really doesn't make any difference what your brothers stove is set on. Each of these beasts is an individual and no two seem to run exactly the same in different homes. (If they did, we'd all get great results from the same brand of pellets.) Basically what you want to do is to set the low fuel feed to the lowest number that will support a constant burn in your stove. To do this simply lower the number, I'd start with it at 2, and run the stove on 1-1 for at least a half hour while monitoring it to make sure that the flame doesn't go out. If it goes out with the LFF at 2 set it up to 3 and try again. This may take a little trial and error but it's not really all that difficult to get right and it should reduce the amount of pellets your stove consumes on the lower heat settings.

You're not supposed to run the stove with the hopper lid open but I believe that if I were you I'd take almost all the pellets, leaving just a few handfuls, out of the hopper and leave the lid open while I stood there and watched just to make sure that the top auger is only turning on intermittently and not running constantly. Don't leave the stove unattended with the hopper open!

If the above suggestions don't get it fixed then you could do what I did and make a modification to the plate in the hopper. I ended up with some really small pellets last year and closing the plate all the way didn't make much difference in how fast they poured thru so I took the plate out and used a dremel to make the adjustment slot a little longer so it would close a little more. That did the trick for me but if it hadn't I'd have taken the plate to a metal shop and had a slightly longer plate made.
I hope some of this helps! :)

Im not a novice. If its 60 degrees out and your in a 10 by 10 room than yes you can have the low fuel feed on 2. I know thats an exaggeration but the object is to have a fire and 2 wont do that

On low the object is to idle, not burn you out of the room. When the stove is on low it should just keep the fire from going out.

Even at its lowest setting there's a decent amount of heat being blown out, granted it's not as much as if it were on a higher setting. I have mine on a thermostat now, and it idles most of the time just going up to high when heat is called for.

Geez! I'm glad it isn't my job to help you try to solve your problem. With that attitude you'll never be satisfied with this stove or any other. By all means, scrap the Englander and go pay big bucks for another brand. Then when you rant and rave about it's equally poor performance at least you'll have the justification of having spent thousands of dollars. :roll: Pellet stoves aren't for everyone......they obviously aren't for you.

Everyone is just trying to help out. I realize you are completely frustrated with the stove but did you try contacting Mike directly or PM him?

I have called a ton of times. I know allot of people who have the same stove as mine and love them. Mine is junk. Sorry!!! You say pegdot was being helpful???? That post didnt help any. Do me a favor pegdot, dont reply to any of my posts

slvrblkk said:
Everyone is just trying to help out. I realize you are completely frustrated with the stove but did you try contacting Mike directly or PM him?

Emailing Mike Holton directly would probably help. Calling at this time of the year can be very aggrevating. Seeing how many people Mike has helped on this forum leads me tobelieve he'll do right by you as well. His email addy id [email protected]

Good luck

Is this thing still under warranty? If it is I wouldn't let the money go to waste. You got to fight for your right to party, I mean rights, just rights...

I wanted a new one last year when I bought it when it was under warranty. See where that got me? Oh it got me a bunch of parts that did not fix the problems

xcr600man said:
I wanted a new one last year when I bought it when it was under warranty. See where that got me? Oh it got me a bunch of parts that did not fix the problems

If you have all of the correspondence and boxes the parts came in (shipping labels) you should have no problems fighting this and getting a new stove if Englander can't fix it. Most of us have had very good experiences with Englander and it sucks that you haven't. I would certainly be emailing Mike and anyone else at Englander, and perhaps my AG. You could also go to the place you bought it and put up a stink. Somebody needs to step up to the plate and fix this for you.

Yes, XCR, my first response was in an effort to help solve your problem. Your snippy responses weren't exactly nice now were they? If you didn't like my suggestions there was certainly a nicer way to say so. You're posts have been less than informative to put it mildly. Stating that your stove burns like crap doesn't exactly give anyone the information they need to try to help you. If this is your normal form of communication then I think it's obvious why you are having problems finding any solutions. If you'd bothered to do a little reading on this board before you posted you'd know that Englander has a very good reputation for customer service and that Mike and Corie, who work for Englander, post here regularly to answer questions and help their customers out. Since my own dealings with the company have been nothing less than positive you'll just have to excuse me when I find it hard to credit your version of how you've been treated by them. However, if you've been as ugly with them as you've been with me then I think it would be perfectly understandable if they did want to stop having to deal with you.

I understand that you are frustrated but if you really want help, rather than to just bash someone, you really need to calm down, rein your temper in, and try asking nicely while providing enough information for someone to be able to help. No one likes feeling as though they are being attacked when they are only trying to help. Even people who are getting paid to do it. I wish you luck.

PM me your serial and model number please along with a daytime phone number so i can look at whats been going on. without any specific info to work from i cannot tell which particular unit this is. please send me this info and i will see what i can do to correct your situation

Status
Not open for further replies.