25-pdv small room small house chilly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortalis

Nov 15, 2014
Southern Mass
So, this is my first year using the Easterner 25-pdv (I believe that is the model, the one in my pic). It is still using the factory settings. I move the ash from the burnpot daily into the side areas (dont know what they are called to either side of the burn pot) and I vacuum the ash every other day. We use Energex Premium pellets. The stove is setting on a brick hearth using outside air to burn and exhausting through the wall into an existing chimney that was used for a coal stove.

The house itself is an two story old farm house that is 1000 sq feet(footprint is roughly 22 x 25). Each story has 3 or 4 small rooms with the main room where the stove is located measuring 10' x 22'. The stairs going up stairs is near one end of this room. The house has a full footprint unfinished basement and we monitor the temp in the basement which averages 40 - 45 degrees. There is insulation in the rafters of the basement. We just this year had new vinyl insulated windows installed and we can tell the difference in the house with them in. The house insulation is unknown but I believe it is not too bad as the walls are not cold to the touch.

We have been having our first rounds of 0 or below degree temps outside. and running the stove on a heat setting of 5 can barely keep the small main room at 60 degrees. This is a bit disconcerting as the coal stove we got rid of (Lil chubby) could easily keep the room at 75 - 80 and the rest of the house leached from that to stay in the 65 degree range. The stove does not run during the day when I am at work so the oil furnace is set to keep the house at 55 during the day. I run the stove from about 6PM to 6AM during the week and then run it 24 hours during the weekend.

Am I just not running the stove on a high enough heat setting? Is the stove not able to heat that much space in the short amount of time I run it during the week? On the weekends the house is heated fairly well.

Thought?
Questions?

Cleaning- internal flues behind plate inside the firebox also pull the motor of the combustion blower and vac both towards the stove and out into the venting the clean the rest of the venting and how is your chimney as well the check your room fan especially if it has the screen since that can collect hair and dust. Other than that is the pellets you are using and are they any good.

Turn that thing up. It takes a while for a pellet stove to raise the temp from 55*, especially at 0* outside.You have 4 more heat ranges to go, use them. The heat can always be turned back down when the house warms up.

Turning off the stove during the day, combined with turning temp down to 55 is not helping. The stove heats everything; walls, furniture - not just the air. Also, a lot of that heat probably travels into other rooms, so it isn't just trying to heat the one room (unless by chance you are able to close that room off completely from the rest of the house).

I figure you probably kept the coal stove going 24/7, so it heated everything up, then kept it there. Much easier to keep a temp once everything has stabilized at that temp as opposed to trying to raise the temp to everything in a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.