25 PDVC and Thermostat trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RemySoHo

Dec 7, 2017
Topsham, ME
Hi All,

I have a 25-PDVC, 2011, I think, pellet stove and I want to put a thermostat on it. I purchased the Honeywell RTH2300B 5-2 programmable thermostat. I initially tried wiring the stove to the thermostat using the R and W terminals on the stat but the stove never seemed to go down to a 1-1 setting and the air temp kept rising well beyond the stat setting. However, I think I may have had the stat on the gas furnace and not electric heat. Then, I tried wiring the stat to the G and W terminals, set the stat to electric and the stove again never powered down to a 1-1 and the air temp kept rising well beyond the stat setting. I then put the stove in test mode and with the change of the stat temp setting, the dash in the blower speed appeared and disappeared when it should, indicating the call for heat was registering correctly. I currently have the stove set to 6-4-1. The stove is in a basement that is 50 degrees and within an hour the stove can get the air temp up to 60 degrees even when the stat is set on 55 degrees. I have the heat range set at 9 and the blower speed at 9.

Can anyone confirm the wiring for this thermostat should be G and W and what else could prevent the stove from appearing to go to 1-1 once the stat air temp is reached? I say appearing because, for example, when I set the stat at 60 and the temp increases to 63 and I back the stat down to 55, wait 10-15 minutes looking for the stove to go into 1-1, the air temp keeps increasing and the flame size appears constant, not diminished.

You should be using the R and W terminals on the thermostat. What I would try is putting a jumper wire on the the thermostat wires. It is only 24 volts. Let it cycle through and see what happens.