25-pdvc auger broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blanc12

Nov 20, 2007
Northern Maine
Came home last night and the stove was out. I found that the lower auger was broken in two.
I had just cleaned the stove less than 24 hours ago and had no sign that anything was wrong. Has anyone seen this before? Is there something I should have
been doing to prevent this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to keep replacing these parts because of my ignorance.

Thanks

Pete

Attachments

• 12-02-07_0814.jpg
    12-02-07_0814.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 795
Pete,

Sit tight for a few minutes and our Customer Service Manager Mike Holton will be along to take care of you. If by some chance he doesn't see this thread in time, please call customer service on Monday or at your earliest convenience and ask for Mike Holton.

Customer Service
(800) 245-6489

Hello. Mike you in? :) Ordered parts Saturday. Can't wait to get my stove going again. I sure do miss it.
I would get the parts locally but in northern Maine if you cant get it at Walmart you are usually out of luck.

Youch, this year we're seeing multiple failures of this auger. That baby looks like it got pretty hot. Should it?

Thats my big question too.
The motor end of the auger has a nice twisting to it. Almost looks like it got stuck and the pellets burned up the auger to the area the top auger drops the pellets.

I had shut down the stove and vacuumed out everything. The pellets I am using have hardly any fines in them.

Oh well. sometimes stuff happens. I will be glad to get the parts so I can get warm again.

Pete

I'll be quite sad if I come in one day and my auger looks like that...

Hope your parts come soon!

That's an auger :eek:hh:

Here was mine that I replaced in the advance last year. I guess I was too aggressive and snapped the tip off while cleaning it one day....
Mike what are those made of?

Attachments

• auger 005resize.jpg
    auger 005resize.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 640
blanc12 said:
Hello. Mike you in? :) Ordered parts Saturday. Can't wait to get my stove going again. I sure do miss it.
I would get the parts locally but in northern Maine if you cant get it at Walmart you are usually out of luck.

hey blanc sorry so late replying , ive been playing catch up ball last few days as ive been out oif town all last week. you said you ordered the parts saturday? did you phone in the order? or do it online? do me a favor to make it easier for me to look you up at the office in the morning , pm me your stove serial number , and send me a daytime phone number as well, i'll see what i can do about getting your parts asap'd out to you. i'd like to ask some questions as well about what you found with that auger. hope to hear from you soon

mike

GVA said:

Here was mine that I replaced in the advance last year. I guess I was too aggressive and snapped the tip off while cleaning it one day....

they are cast , not steel flighted like the ones you pictured. although our multifuel and the utility furnace use steel flighteds

stoveguy2esw said:
GVA said:

they are cast , not steel flighted like the ones you pictured. although our multifuel and the utility furnace use steel flighteds
Oh.... good to know.....

GVA said:
stoveguy2esw said:
GVA said:

Oh.... good to know.....

are the ones in your picture machined?? interesting looking things,

GVA - Wondering if you noticed a difference in the way your stove burned with that little piece broken off?

keep getting an error when I pm you mike.

Sorry if this is a repeat. But my sent messages showed nothing sent. Sending this just to make sure.
On the motor side of the auger there was nice little twists where it broke. The area near where the top auger feeds the bottom was the hot spot and this is where it was broken. It looks like the auger got stuck where the top feeds and the heat from the burning made the shaft of the auger weak. The lower auger gasket was some what melted but not totally. I had cleaned the stove the day before and had no more than two bags through it.
I ordered the bearing, gasket, auger and a spare blower gasket. The bearing looked good but better safe than sorry.
order# 21657
the stove is a 25-pdvc/55-shp-10
serial# 039192
made: 0105

I bought this stove January 06 and have been very happy with it. Next summer I think I will be upgrading to your bigger model.

Thanks again
Pete Blanchette

You have to tick the box "Store a copy in the Sent messages folder"
before you send a message in order for it to show in the Sent folder.
Imo, by default it should already be ticked.

Back to the regular scheduled program - good luck with the auger replacement!

hey pete,
just tried to call you , left you a message with my phone and extension, i'll try to get up with you during the day to get you taken care of on this issue, if you read this before you check your messages let me know and i'll try to call you again

Dougsey said:
GVA - Wondering if you noticed a difference in the way your stove burned with that little piece broken off?
No difference in the burning.
But without the tip the pellets have a harder time pushing into the burnpot and puts quite a load on the auger...... Resulting in all sorts of noises.

stoveguy2esw said:
GVA said:
stoveguy2esw said:
GVA said:

Oh.... good to know.....

are the ones in your picture machined?? interesting looking things,
Nope its about a 3/4" shaft with the flight wrapped around it and welded at each end...

blanc12 said:
keep getting an error when I pm you mike.

Sorry if this is a repeat. But my sent messages showed nothing sent. Sending this just to make sure.
On the motor side of the auger there was nice little twists where it broke. The area near where the top auger feeds the bottom was the hot spot and this is where it was broken. It looks like the auger got stuck where the top feeds and the heat from the burning made the shaft of the auger weak. The lower auger gasket was some what melted but not totally. I had cleaned the stove the day before and had no more than two bags through it.
I ordered the bearing, gasket, auger and a spare blower gasket. The bearing looked good but better safe than sorry.
order# 21657
the stove is a 25-pdvc/55-shp-10
serial# 039192
made: 0105

I bought this stove January 06 and have been very happy with it. Next summer I think I will be upgrading to your bigger model.

Thanks again
Pete Blanchette

hey pete , i know now why the PM didnt work , my box was full, i didnt see that until i got home and found about 40 e mails from webmaster saying that it was full, i did some housecleaning and its open again

by the way i pulled your order and found your phone number on it tried to call today , if ya want try one more time to pm me with home number and i'll call ya from home, i didnt bring your number home with me so i will need it to call you from here

Received and installed the auger last night! ;-) Quite an easy job. Checked out the entire stove. Cleaned out everything. The Stove pipes had quite allot of soot in them. I am very glad to report that the stove is up and running and burning like brand new.

Mike, I never caught you when you called. I called you several times but that didn't work out either. I will try to call you Monday. Thanks for the help, it's nice to know some one still stands behind their products. Next year I will have the bigger 25-pdv. My little 25-pdvc works too hard on the really cold days.

Thanks again
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.