25 pdvc cleaning/white rope thing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justbeachy618

Dec 8, 2012
I am doing a complete cleaning. I noticed this white rope looking thing, that plugs in to the control panel and goes up and connects to the front of the stove, is kinda hanging by one wire. What is this rope thing? Where it connects to the fire wall, the white part has severed, and is hanging by the wire. What should i do? Beachy

Hello

The white rope is a hi temp protective sleeve on the wire that is used as the Heat Sensor or POF (Proof of Fire) going into the digital control panel.
You can purchase a new heat sensor on the England Stove Works web site. It does not cost much.

To test the heat sensor on 04 and later stoves do the following:
Unplug re-plug the AC to reset the stove.
Push both the air on temp and the low burn air together quickly after plugging the AC plug back into the wall outlet, the number display should read an 8 in heat range and a variable number in the blower speed if the sensor is correct (at room temp) if you see a 9 in heat range sensor is not being read and not working properly.

Hello

The white rope is a hi temp protective sleeve on the wire that is used as the Heat Sensor or POF (Proof of Fire) going into the digital control panel.
You can purchase a new heat sensor on the England Stove Works web site. It does not cost much.

To test the heat sensor on 04 and later stoves do the following:
Unplug re-plug the AC to reset the stove.
Push both the air on temp and the low burn air together quickly after plugging the AC plug back into the wall outlet, the number display should read an 8 in heat range and a variable number in the blower speed if the sensor is correct (at room temp) if you see a 9 in heat range sensor is not being read and not working properly.

OK thanks! One reason i am doing a complete cleaning is it has been giving me an E 1 code and shutting down. Could a defective heat sensor or POF cause this problem? Thanks again Beachy

OK thanks! One reason i am doing a complete cleaning is it has been giving me an E 1 code and shutting down. Could a defective heat sensor or POF cause this problem? Thanks again Beachy
E-1 is a lack of vacuum....has nothing to do with the heat sensor. Lack of vacuum is opening the vacuum switch and shutting off the auger. Probable cause: dirty stove and/or plugged vacuum line. This is right from the Englander troubleshooting section of their website:

"Vacuum Loss: Pellet stoves require a clean "un-resisted" flow of combustion air to perform safely and efficiently. The E-1 code is for vacuum loss; it happens when the flow of exhaust is not sufficient to hold the “flue blockage” switch closed.

Common causes for E-1 codes:
1. Exhaust blower not coming on when stove is turned on. If not, check the blower itself and its wires.
2. Blocked flue pipe: check the flue pipe for obstruction and clean.
3. Cracked vacuum hose connection at the exhaust housing: this hose can crack if the stove has been run hot and/or has not been cleaned as much as it should be.
4. Loose wiring connection: on the switch and the other ends where they connect at the bottom of the control board.
5. Issue after component replacement: If any associated component such as the vacuum switch has been replaced, ensure that the replacement component has been wired correctly in the “normally open” position, and that the vacuum hose is connected to the “negative” port (the lower, off-white colored connector).
If everything mentioned above is as it should be the, Vacuum Switch itself is bad and should be replaced."

X2 is vacuum

I worked on a stove where the vacuum hose was hooked to the wrong port and the wires were connected to the wrong terminals! So check that.

Status
Not open for further replies.