25 PDVC Clunkers... I think

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elroyyboy

Sep 10, 2010
Nozarks, (Central MO)
Hi folks,
As a fella new to pellet stoves, I really appreciate the info provided on hearth.com. I've tried searching some topics but only get sketchy links to my problem, or I'm not smart enough to search for the right topic. :)

My latest dilemma. Here in the middle of The Nozarks winter has begun. I've been running my 25 PDVC daily, and cleaning daily with a once weekly deep clean as identified in the stickies. However, I've attached a picture of what I believe you folks call a clinker and I'm not sure why this is happening.

I used the included OAK with my stove and used Simpson Duravents kit. I have a 3 foot vertical rise outside the basement wall through which the exhaust exits.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Elroyyboy

Attachments

• IMG149 (1).jpg
    IMG149 (1).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 2,250
Is that mass of ash hard? Or soft?

Clinkers are hard as rocks.

That looks like typical ash buildup in a 25PDVC . They don`t all get blown out. Mine are always soft but could be to some extent dependent on the brand pellet burned. They only need to be raked forward out of the burn pot periodically.

I get the same thing sometimes in my PDVC. It's always with a certain brand of pellet. If I'm around the house I try to use a tablespoon to scoop out the pot to clean it a couple times a day. If not, I try to burn the brand that doesn't clump or clink as much. That large mass will cut down the efficiency of your stove. All in all, it's probably nothing serious.

I've only burned softwood, and never had anything that big.

You said you are "new" to pellet stoves.....is your stove new also, or used?

When you do your weekly "deep" cleaning, do you remove the burn pot and wear plate and make sure all holes are completely clear? How about the air tube under the wear plate...is that clean/clear too?

As was mentioned above, that mass in your burnpot is not clinkers. Looks to me that there isn't enough air going through the stove.....what do you have the bottom buttons set at?

What are the factory settings for the bottom 3 buttons on your control panel. They can only be changed when the stove has cooled down & shut off. If you change them while in operation, the new settings won't take place till the next time the stove cools & shuts off. You can check them anytime though. When you push one, the setting will show up on the display. From left to right, push the first button on left, that will show your pellet feed rate. Push the middle button, that will show your air flow. Then push your thrid & far right button, that will show the setting for when your stove gets to a preset heat, the room blower will turn on, it will probally be set at #1. After about 10 seconds or so, the control display will return to where it was. It looks to me like you might need more air flow to completely burn the pellets up per the feed rate amount being feed. I set these numbers & record these numbers per the different brands of pellets I burn. This way if I run across a brand I have tried before, I know what seems to work best. Try setting you air flow number (bottom middle button setting), 2 or 3 numbers higher then what ever number you have for the pellet feed rate setting (bottom left button setting). Like right now, my bottom 3 factory settings buttons are set, from left to right at, 4-6-1. I'm burning Somerset pellets & they are a real hard pellet. So i like more air flow (bottom middle button setting). They seem to burn better with more air flow. If not, they will seem to crust up like that, but not that bad looking. Also, Mike from Englander's Stove works, hangs out alot in here, he might be able to give some better advise for you.

OK. Wow, lots of questions.
First, the mass is crisp around the edges, but soft in the midle, kinda like wet campfire ashes.
Second, I use either Somersets or Greenway Super Premiums. Problem seems a little worse with the somersets.
Third, I am a newbie, though the stove is, too. Bought at HD on 23 SEP and did my own install following instructions and code to the tee.
Fourth, my bottom 3 button settings are 3,5, and 1, respectively. I did have a problem initially with the stove burning pellets too quickly. I called England's service line and they had close the hopper door more and they also advised that I change one setting, though I can't remember which one. Other than Mfg suggested changes, I haven't done a thing.

I usually take a 3" metal putty knife and "flip out" the front part of the mass and stir the pot. I clean the burn pot daily, to include the air tube beneath. Weekly, I take a wire brush and clean then end of the auger, the carbon build up around the feed tube, and remove the Plate above the burn pot and try to brush/vacuum out what I guess are the heat exchangers.

Hope I've provided enough info.

Thanks,

One more thing. I keep my pellets covered, off the ground, and dry in an outside covered walkout. I generally rotate about 10 bags inside to keep from having to run in and out. Inside, the humidity runs about 30% in the basement when the stove has been running for more than an hour. 50% is normal Humidity, but I haven't been to 50% in a few weeks, since I've been running the stove.

Again, thanks,

Assuming that everything in the exhaust path is OK, it just looks to be a lack of airflow through the pellets.

Try increasing the LBA to 6. Let's see if we can get the stove back to the "burning pellets too quickly" situation (and being a "newbie" to pellets, how do you know they're burning too fast??)....at least then we'll know that the airflow has increased.

If that helps keep the burnpot area cleaner, then it may have to stay that way until you discover a pellet that burns "cleaner" in your stove set-up.

I thought they were burning too fast based on what I'd read here (how many hours/bag other folks were getting). The customer service guy at England agreed that on a setting of 6, a bag shouldn't burn in 4 hours. :)

I'll try the adjustment. Based on earlier posts, I need to shut it down in order for the change to take effect??

Thanks,

elroyyboy said:
I thought they were burning too fast based on what I'd read here (how many hours/bag other folks were getting). The customer service guy at England agreed that on a setting of 6, a bag shouldn't burn in 4 hours. :)

I'll try the adjustment. Based on earlier posts, I need to shut it down in order for the change to take effect??

Thanks,

When you say burning to fast, do you mean you were burning a bag to quick or they (pellets) where burning up to quick in burn pot before more pellets would get feed into burn pot.

i have that same problem in my 25-pdv

being new i just assumed thats how they burned....maybe i'll try and up that middle button as well

Sorry, burning too quickly meant high rate of pellet consumption. don't know how they were burning in the burn pot, only that, based on what I've seen from users here, i was using an awful amount of pellets in just a few hours.

Anyhow, the higher the number set in your bottom left factory setting number, the more quicker you are going to burn thru a bag of pellets. The higher that number, the more pellets that will get feed into your burn pot. You need the right amount air to burn the amount of pellets that are feed into burn pot. The harder the pellet, the more air you need to burn that pellet efficently. A softer pellet will take less air. By increasing the LBA from a 5 to a 6, will but more air, thru the burn pot, to burn the pellet up more completely.

elroyyboy said:
Based on earlier posts, I need to shut it down in order for the change to take effect??

No....they can be changed on the fly.

I think most new owners of pvdc 25 (I was burning 1- 1 1/2 bags per day) are suprised at the amount of pellets burned on the lowest setting. You need to play with the bottom buttons to achieve a heat production that isn't going to burn to many pellets. This will change each time you change pellet brands. If your cutting your feed and air back pay close attention to the vent to ensure that its not getting any cresote build up. Personnally I think that the 25 is a great stove and it fills all of my requirements, but, it is a entry level stove. I'm sure if you buy a more expensive stove there will be a broader band of adjustment but not having one its just a guess.

TLHinCanada said:
I think most new owners of pvdc 25 (I was burning 1- 1 1/2 bags per day) are suprised at the amount of pellets burned on the lowest setting. You need to play with the bottom buttons to achieve a heat production that isn't going to burn to many pellets. This will change each time you change pellet brands. If your cutting your feed and air back pay close attention to the vent to ensure that its not getting any cresote build up. Personnally I think that the 25 is a great stove and it fills all of my requirements, but, it is a entry level stove. I'm sure if you buy a more expensive stove there will be a broader band of adjustment but not having one its just a guess.

I actually feel that my more expensive stove has less adjustment, but also requires alot less tinkering.

My quad I just set thermostat and away she goes, the pdvc I'm constantly messing with the adjustments.

I've had my 25 for about a month now and I've never had to run it
Over the lowest setting due to a warm fall but, I can get nearly 20
hours out of a bag which I think is awesome

I'm going to increase my middle button by one up to 5
and see if can get away from the harder ash build up

Hey Folks,
Burned all night last night with the middle button adjusted to 6, as adivsed. No real change in the amount of buildup. I'll follow the latest suggestion to adjust the feed rate (the first button on the left, right?) and see if I can't balance the air'fuel mixture a little better.
I'll burn again all day today w/ revised settings and post a note this evening.

Thanks very much for the help and insight!

I've been burning since my last post, around 8-9 hours. With new settings still getting the pellet ash turds in the burn pot. I have been flipping them out w/ my putty knife, but they're still forming.

Thanks,

pusher stoves......poop!

elroyyboy said:
I've been burning since my last post, around 8-9 hours. With new settings still getting the pellet ash turds in the burn pot. I have been flipping them out w/ my putty knife, but they're still forming.

Thanks,
Try another brand of pellets before you get too involved. I get the same thing this year with the Somersets.

just filled it up with greenways and flipped the ash poop out of the burn pot. We'll see what she looks like tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

i did what some others here suggested and turned my middle button
up one...from 4 to 5 and found the ash isnt quite that clumpy anymore
plus my glass stayed 100% cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.