25 PDVC E-1 code.... just when you think it's fixed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenstogie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2012
Albany (ish)
Just when you think you have it fixed….

Been plagued with a persistent yet intermittent E-1 code on my 25 PDVC.

It will run fine for 2-4 days then kick and E-1 code. Then it will only work for 2 hours, E-1 code. Then maybe again in a hour or two, maybe not. Then fine for a couple of days then it will kick the E-1 code out again. Then it works fine for 2-3 days, a day, whatever. It burns well and produces nice heat.

Here’s what I have done so far……

-I cleaned the venting thoroughly, (brushed from stem to stern and LBT’d too)
-cleaned the vacuum switch hole in the ash area
-checked all the componants (exhaust fan, Auger Motors U/L, Room fan) and are operational .
-will check the vacuum hoses (they certainly look fine but will triple check)
-What else can I do/check??
-I know I could short the Vacuum switches for diagnostics but from a safety standpoint I don’t really feel comfortable with doing it if I am going to let the thing run for a while.

What’s the best way to remove those darn springs holding the hoses on anyway?? I have 20 pairs of pliers but none of them seem to work.

Many thanks and remember Spring is coming!!

Only thing I can figure is the vacuum switch is flaky. Like it's right on the verge of tripping all the time and a gust of wind outside or something like that will cause it to trip.

I wouldn't have a problem running the unit for a day or 2 w/ it bypassed as long as the stove is squeaky clean. If bypassing the vacuum switch cures the problem, then I'd replace it.

I forget how old your unit is, and is it under warranty? If so, call Englander and see if they'll ship you a new vacuum switch to try.

Well it's a 2005. Works quite well other than this.
UPDATE:::
It happened yet again and sooooo
....... I took off the back and checked all the vacuum hoses (removed, inspected and reseated) and

electrical connections (removed, inspected and reseated) and it has run with out interuption for 3 days. I don't know if that was it but I hope so. I will say that the vacuum hoses don't seem to really have much of a bite onto the connectors but I did push them even farther on. I also have to say that I am not in love with the vacuum hose clamps they use though I understand why.

I will say that the vacuum hoses don't seem to really have much of a bite onto the connectors but I did push them even farther on. I also have to say that I am not in love with the vacuum hose clamps they use though I understand why.
I replaced the vacuum hoses with silicon rubber vacuum hoses and the spring clamps with automotive type band clamps. The clamps were not really necessary , the hoses grip the connections quite well, but I didn't want to risk a leak.

I replaced the vacuum hoses with silicon rubber vacuum hoses and the spring clamps with automotive type band clamps. The clamps were not really necessary , the hoses grip the connections quite well, but I didn't want to risk a leak.
Well hopefully one was just pinched or maybe a bad electical connection too, though everything "looked" fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.