25 PDVC Pellet Stove Manf. 03/02 Turns off within 10 secs. of starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asparky

Nov 19, 2016
Washington
After I turn it on it runs for about 10 seconds and then turns off with a E with no number error. I see a post on here that's its probably a Vac. switch. There is only one according to the drawings and it shows its wired directly to the control board. My question is can I remove the control board from the outside of the stove? and jumper the terminals the switch goes to? My stove is set in a fireplace and very difficult to get out as I'm 70. The control board is bolted on from the outside but I didn't want to take the bolts loose unless it can be done. IE unbolt and remove or turn from outside to jumper. I'm an electrician so the wiring isn't a problem, moving the stove is though LOL
Thanks
Asparky

You don't want to jumper the switch out - it's a safety item! Please find the cause for the lack of vacuum, or if the switch is defective, replace it. We don't want to read about you in the papers!

Oh, I had read on here where it was recommended as it wasn't a real big safety issue. It was the same problem on the same newer unit 25 PDVC that had 2 vac. switches on the combustion fan and hopper lid (which I don't have on my lid). I Thought it might have been a factory rep but not sure. They did warn about not leaving the stove run if you're going to be away from it for 60 min. or more. But, I don't want to be unsafe!
Thanks,
Asparky

What are the symptoms on shut down? Auger stops, combustion blower stops or nothing starts in the first place? It could also be a thermal sensor going bad and no longer reading temps. Is it connected to a thermostat? Is the hopper switch still connecting properly? When was the last time internal exhaust paths, exhaust blower and venting was cleaned? When was the door/hopper/ashpan gasket (as apply) changed? Could it be the tubing to the vac switch is cracked or broken?

Lots to rule out and bypassing the vac. switch is only a temporary measure in troubleshooting ... not meant to be run that way. Always unplug when working in the cabinet too...

Last edited:
On start runs 10 seconds and then off with E error and no number... Just E..
Auger never starts within 10 secs.
Combustion blower (exhaust) starts at start up and turns off at 10 secs. with E error
Not connected to a external thermostat (No auto igniter on this model)
No hopper switch Its a 2002 model
Can't answer questions on insides as I cant get back off as its a little inside a fireplace. been running since 2002 with no problems. I cant get it pulled out right now as I need help with it.
Saw a very similar 10 sec shutdown problem with the newer 25PDVC with two vac. switches and was solved by jumping the vac. switch temporarily.
Not wanting to run for long time with it jumped, just troubleshoot and pull out when I get some help.
I was just wondering if what I had planned would work, just jumpering the 2 wires to the vac switch at the control board (jumper) I'm assuming the vac switch closes the control board circuit.
I was wondering if anyone had done it before? There's nothing else I can do right now until I get some help and its cold here in Washington LOL

Yea, Its ran for 14 years without any problems. I bought it brand new on the pallet from a woman who bought it and couldn't use it. Best $200 I ever spent. I'm pretty sure its the vacuum switch part #24 PU-VS or tubing.
I removed the wires and jumped the vacuum switch terminals on the control board. Fired right up and is running good. I'll check and clean everything out when I get some help to pull the stove out of the fireplace and get a switch ordered so I can get everything done.
I know I read that you could jump out that vacuum switch safely and pretty sure it was a post from the company or rep., But I can't find it now so better safe than sorry. If anyone remembers seeing it let me know.
thanks for the replies
Asparky

Figured you would troubleshoot it that way but not the safest with the board loose (I'd be afraid of shorting the board). Don't run it jumpered...

So order the vac switch, tubing, and gasket for the exhaust blower since you'll be behind there anyway. Make sure you give the convection blower a brush (soft paint brush/old tooth brush) and vacuum. Use compressed air or vacuum the motor windings on the blowers too so you chase the dust bunnies out. I don't think they need to be oiled but double check the manual. Not sure if you can get the parts at a local chain store that carry the stoves (Home Depot?).

Manual: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/46/463aeef9-574e-487c-8d1c-e21ec68f0ae7.pdf

I didn't turn it on with the board loose. I jumped it and reassembled it as if it didn't solve the problem I couldn't do anything else until I pulled the stove out anyway. thanks for the suggestions, I will do a complete job as Its a pain to pull out of the fireplace.
Asparky

Reactions: Lake Girl
PS Brush the liner too!
PSS Might want to consider a rail system of some kind so it can be serviced easier;)

Status
Not open for further replies.