1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

25-pvdc/55-shp10 heating issue

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Wolfwood, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

I am having problems with my 25pvdc/55-shp10 except mine is used and was built in 98 input 38000btu rating. i currently use New England pellets and have it set to "c" setting and at full bore 9-9 i can sit on top of the unit and not be burned and wont heat my 800 sqft house. I have torn the thing completely apart and cleaned every nook and cranny and blower fins to no avail. Its burn is on C setting full bore a bag every 12-13 hours, on D setting on 5 it would go about a day and a half before needing a bag. Flame is nice and dances around just like my fathers at his house, any ideas i have done everything mentioned in this posting with no difference??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thaddius Wenderoth

Thaddius Wenderoth Feeling the Heat

Maybe too much combustion air pushing the heat right out your stack?
  3. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

Have cleaned exhaust motor and chamber its in and replaced with new gasket, removed impingement plate and cleaned the heat exchange completly, burn pot is clean with not hole blockages or deformities, the bottom settings are 6-4-1. I don't have a leaf blower to see if the exhaust motor is growing weak, but have noticed that there is a deep vibration that shakes the place as if a semi truck goes by that seems to be originating from the blower but the fan and shaft are solid with no wobble. one thing i noticed is that going through manuel is that my burn pot has no gasket between it and the back of the box, would that have this much of a impact on its performance?
  4. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

i have a dampener that no matter the setting doesn't change its heat output.
  5. Thaddius Wenderoth

DEFINITELY! $9 fix!
  6. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

also the flames on C setting and max 9-9 barly go 1/2 up box
  7. imacman

imacman Guest

Yes, burn air may be just bypassing the burn pot & going out the exhaust. It MUST have a gasket back there.
  8. imacman

imacman Guest

The leaf blower is not meant as a replacement for the comb. blower to test....it used to suck out hidden ash inside the stove that you can't see or get to with normal cleaning techniques. It's used AFTER the rest of the cleaning is done as the "final touch". Many times, it solves poor burning problems for people that have a problem really cleaning their stove properly.

It gets hooked onto the outdoor pipe.
  9. Thaddius Wenderoth

Whish I could do this! But since I have 6" through the roof (retrofit into my wood burner) I have no way of doing this! Thinking about having an installer coming out and installing straight through the wall so make cleaning and checking easier. I also can't have a clean out T because of this!
  10. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

exactly how mine is and also replaced a wood stove. I am trying to track down a gasket in my area and will update when i get it installed. Thx for the help
  11. imacman

imacman Guest

Why not? I used an existing 8" wood stove pipe, and I too can't use the leaf blower, but I do have a clean out T inside behind the stove. I open that to clean the pipe with a LintEater.
  12. Thaddius Wenderoth

I know someone who did this and the bottom came off the T and caught his house on fire. I just don't want the T in the house.
  13. imacman

imacman Guest

YIKES!! Can't imagine how that happened....I have to WORK to get the cap off...... and that's even with it being coated w/ anti seize and using a strap wrench!
  14. Thaddius Wenderoth

Yeah, I am sure it would be fine but it scares me. Especially since I work 12 hour days and burn so much while being away from the house.

Even more Yikes is a co-worker just lost his house and 4 dogs in a fire that took his house to the ground last week. Culpret? A space heater he was using to thaw his frozen pipes. My heart aches for him as he has lost everything he owns and four pets!
  15. imacman

imacman Guest

Wow...that's terrible!
  16. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

alright, i have put the gasket in and it did indeed increase the quality of burn and increased the heat a bit but i can still stand in front and sit on top of it without being burned at 9-9 "c" mode, any more ideas?? fire only gets about 1/2 way up the chamber.
  17. imacman

imacman Guest

Can we see a pic or video of the unit burning (with clean glass) and door closed? Maybe some pics of the entire exhaust system too.
  18. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny

Have you tried different pellets?
  19. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

this is 9-9 in mode C.. pic I had to turn so the outside air intake is off

Attached Files:

20. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

i have used North American Pettets before new englands but they heated worse and ashier as heck. NEP are the best that my father has used in his 8 years of burning diff types of pellets in our area of upstate NY
  21. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Please tell us the settings for LLF, LBA, and AOT?

Also is your impingement plate in the stove and properly positioned (it is a big part of your heat exchanger system). Your manual should tell you how to position it.
  22. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

4-6-1 and the plate is positioned correct according to the OM
  23. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    OK, lets see in one posting you said the lower three were 6-4-1 and in your last one here it is 4-6-1

We need to know what the correct settings are for your controller the 4-6-1 is going to both feed fewer pellets and send more of whatever heats produced up the flue than 6-4-1 will (as to burn quality I know not which is going too be the best).

The only place I know that has a list of controller versus settings is England.
  24. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

double checked and i guess i had i little dyslexia going on but it is set to 4-6-1, will change to 6-4-1 and see if there's any change
  25. imacman

imacman Guest

Burn in video looks OK, and I'm assuming the whole exhaust is straight pipe? As long as it's not much more than about 20' from elbow to cap, that should be OK.

As for changing from your previous settings on the bottom 3 buttons to 6-4-1, as long as the burn stays lively like in your video, more pellets = more btu's. Oh, and no need to have room blower on 9....past about 7 it doesn't spin any faster. Actually a slower speed will increase the actual temp of the air coming out.