25 PVDC,,,where is my proof of fire sensor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy118

Sep 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that every now and then my stove will start, make fire, then go out with an E-3 error, usually I just reset the stove, remove the semi burnt pellets, and hit start again. most of the time it starts and runs OK. lately I have noticed that it seems to take a longer time for the ignitor to actually make fire, and when it does I think that it took too long and the proof of fire sensor didn't have enough time to "see" the fire, and the board timed out,,,,,, thus an E-3.
Funny part about the entire ordeal is that it would never do it when "I" fire it up, but has done it twice for my daughter and twice for my wife and once for my son. They know how much time and effort I put into the stove and now they are extremely paranoid about it not working that they refuse to touch it for fear that they will break "daddy's baby"!!!!!
i have looked but cannot find any type of cliks-on or sensor in the fire box that would appear to be the "proof of fire" sensor,,,, i was thinking that maybie I am missing it in my weekly cleanings and it is all covered with ash and not doing it's job as well as it should.
Can anyone tell me where this sesor is located??? if inded there is one,,,,,

thanks,
John

I basicly have the same stove and don't know were to find it either. I know there is one there somewhere, because I always do a stove test run in the beginning of the season, to make sure everything is working, exhaust motors, igniter, opening doors while running to making sure the vacuum switches are working (stops auger feed), & dry running it. It always shuts down on a dry run & errors out with a code (not sure what E code it is) but basicly means no pellet fuel feeding into burn.

As far as I know, there is only a sensor located and screwed to the inside wall (low) behind the fire box.

the stove does not have a dedicated "proof of fire" snapdisk (actually we dont use them at all) the unit has a heat sensing "thermistor" which constantly tells the control board the temperature that the unit is operating at. if you are getting error 3 codes this sensor is seeing too much heat. the first thing i generally look at with e-3 is the room fan. over time they can get clogged up with dust bunnies pet hair ETC... pull and clean this blower , its the one located directly in front of the control board in the back of the stove. after servicing this blower refire the unit and see if the error message is gone, if its still droppiong these codes call my support staff at 800-245-6489, hours are 8-5 eastern time monday through friday

thanks Mike,
I will check the blower, but it was squeaky clean at the beginning of the season and I have only burned about 15 bags so far,,,,i will also double check the error code the next time it happens, I am almost positive it was an E-3,,,

John

Sorry gang,,,,I feel like a fool,,,,,,,it is an E-2 error,,,,,,,,not an E-3.....it didn't do it today but the Mrs. set me strait on the error code....

John

Thats OK Murphy118,
We all make some errors! No need to feel foolish. My dear wife sets me straight 2 to 3 times a day! ;-)

Ah yes the infamous E-2 vacuum error, well you have your choice of causes.

They include bad gaskets, hopper not closed and latched, door not closed and latched, combustion fan on its way out, cracked or pinched vacuum line, ash in the plumbing (includes the vacuum line).

j-takeman said:
Thats OK Murphy118,
We all make some errors! No need to feel foolish. My dear wife sets me straight 2 to 3 times a day! ;-)

Only 2 to 3 times a day, my wife has an automated system to keep after me ;-).

OK E-2 is a "fail to start" error. this means we did not reach "proof of fire" temp. different set of things to check. first , look at the "air on temp" setting , make sure its on 1 if not lower it to 1.

if this isnt it may be a partially clogged igniter port causing the stove to light "late" and not get hot enough quick enough to make POF.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Thats OK Murphy118,

Does it involve being slapped in the back of the head with a heavy metal object? ;-) :cheese:

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Thats OK Murphy118,

Does it involve being slapped in the back of the head with a heavy metal object? ;-) :cheese:

Hey Jay...lookout!!!...duck!!!

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Thats OK Murphy118,

Yes a cast iron skillet.

thanks again MIke!!

i did have an issue when after cleaning during the off season, on the first test burn it failed to fire. I posted about he experience and you replied to make sure the ignitor was about 1/8" away from the opening into the burn box.... that fixed the problem as I had it seated as far in as it would go.
I'll check that hole out, and make sure the ignitor didn't loosen up, and also check the vacuum switch line as stated in the posts.
thanks again,,, and again,,,, and again!!!!

John

no biggie murph, remember the more things i can fix here the less traffic i see at work, glad i could help in this manner, if ya want to thank someone thank webby for letting me "play" in his yard. actually (and no this isnt a dig on other companies) i wish more stove makers would hang out in here. would be fun to kibbitz with them and they really would help themselfs and their companies. you guys honestly dont know how much you make me look good without my even trying. i enjoy this place as much as anywhere i frequent on the web. Craig makes it possible so he's the one who gets the biggest "atta boy" IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.