25-Ton Log Splitter for $399?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nater

Jan 3, 2011
Southern Maine
I was looking at log splitters and came across this one at the Home Depot for $399. Too good to be true but I figured I would pass along the link and maybe someone can get a good deal. Its out of stock in my area and not available to order online. And the reviews are for a snow blower. I was going to try and buy it online and see what I ended up getting and return it if it didn't work out but no luck.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Chipper-Shredders-Log-Splitters-Log-Splitters/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbxag/R-100676586/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

They don't have any in stock around here either I should call and ask for a rain check. I bet they won't give one. It's to good to be true. Someone should get them for false addvertisement.

That seems to be the same design as the Troybuilt and several other names. My friend uses the Troybuilt 27, I think it is the same splitter, he sells 150-200 cords of wood/year. They are a good machine for most any one, he has had trouble with the engines but think about what he does, his machine gets work almost everyday except Sunday. I have seen him do up to 3 cords in one day, by himself. This means cut, split, stacked in 1/3 cord racks... :gulp:

It's out of stock everywhere. I don't think they have any anywhere or ever will at that price.

I just searched a few. Apparently, there is 1 available in Johnston, RI. Way too far for me to drive for a chance to get one at this price. Someone that's local might get a great deal.

If they honored it, it may be worth having it shipped to you. :D

I'm from RI. I called them up on it. They claim it's not the correct machine. The SKU matches their MTD unit which is $1299 in store. They gave me the "you can buy it online for that price". But it's not available online.

They just fixed the price. Now $1399

That looks just like a troy built.

They must have corrected it - because when I clicked the link - it read $ 1399.

We pickup up one of these about a year ago off CL. Nice unit, nothing bad to say, starts right up and splits everything we throw at it.

After years of renting its pretty cool to roll out there and do an hour or 2 and done.

My body is telling me it can't take the manual splitting anymore...sore shoulders, elbows etc.

IMHO, If you are in the market for a splitter this a good one to keep on the list.

thinkxingu said:

So that was August and it's now January. I guess HD has some trouble now and then with it's online pricing? Or maybe it's done on purpose.

I am wondering - those who ordered it in August......... did you receive it for the mistake price? Looks like a great deal. Wish I had seen it.

If I strolled into my HD and saw one on the floor at that price, it' would be hooked to the back of my truck. I also would have bought all they had for resale !

Figures.

If I recall correctly, there are only three of us who got in on the deal. AFAIK, there were none in stock anywhere and it was an online price glitch that HD honored for people who ordered them--total price was closer to $500 with shipping. Within an hour or two, they were sold out and the price went back up.

S

thinkxingu said:
If I recall correctly, there are only three of us who got in on the deal. AFAIK, there were none in stock anywhere and it was an online price glitch that HD honored for people who ordered them--total price was closer to $500 with shipping. Within an hour or two, they were sold out and the price went back up.

S
Lucky @ss! lol

Lest us not forget that I posted within minutes of the discovery for everyone here to benefit!

S

thinkxingu said:
Lest us not forget that I posted within minutes of the discovery for everyone here to benefit!

S

I rember...Just already had one...Lucky@ss! But for that price 2 would come in handy this Sunday.
I done really good on some stuff but the splitter wasnt one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.