250 gallon pressureized storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkJ

Oct 19, 2009
Hudson Valley NY
I've been having trouble locating a 500 gallon propane tank for storage on my new econoburn 100btu system. There seem to bee lots of 250 gallon tanks around though and it got me thinking. My house is 1500 sq ft. and is new and well insulated. Could I get away with using 250 gallons of storage. It would be easier to get into the basement and insulate. I know that more is considered better in some case but it seems to me that people are using 500 gal storage in much larger spaces than mine with good results so maybe 250 gallons wouldn't be too bad? Any opinions welcom.

Mark

Measure up your area and see if you can stack one on top of another and use two to get your 500 gallons.

Or tip them on end and weld to truck tire rim to make a stand....
Rob

ewdudley said:
MarkJ said:
Good idea. I have 9'4" celings so I probably could get away with that.

The 250 gallon tanks are only 92 inches or so long, stacking a couple next to each other on end should work nicely.

This is kinda what I'm thinking about doing.

How much $ are the 250 gal? I may have access to 500s in western ma dont have price yet, If not i may be interested in a pair of 250s

do a search on the state awarded heating contracts in your area. alot of schools have kickass asme listed pressure vessels and storage tanks scheduled for demo. contact the heating contractor responsible for the demo and ask them how much it would cost you to aquire one of these things. just a suggestion.... but it usually works for me as i am on alot of these job sites and can usually aquire this stuff pretty reasonable...

Status
Not open for further replies.