25PDV Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EWILT

Dec 5, 2007
Wyoming
Hey guys got a question for you; Mike and the great folks at Englander have provided me expert help for the last two years. My stove runs great and puts out the heat. My current problem is when I set it above 5 and 9 it starts to shut down when it starts to get hot. I'm guessing the top auger just doesn't spin when this happens. I get great heat on the settings below 5...I'd like to cramk it up at times and maintain the output for more than 10 minutes. Any ideas?

Eric

EWILT said:
.....My current problem is when I set it above 5 and 9 it starts to shut down when it starts to get hot......
Eric
Eric, do you mean that above setting 5-9, that the pellets stop?

When I set it at 5 or 6 for heat the stove starts cranking up and begins to put out the heat, then it seems as if the pellets stop coming out the bottom auger. The fire begins to die out and then it starts spitting them out again once the stove cools down. Hope this helps.

Eric

It sounds like something in the auger system (tube, auger flight, etc), is either expanding or shifting position slightly with high heat, and maybe causing the auger to jam? Did you check the auger/motor connection?

No I haven't checked that. Not sure on how to check it. The stove works fine when on 2 through 4 settings though. What should I be looking for?

Eric

Have you ever taken the back off the stove? Do you know where the auger motors are located for each auger? You may have a loose set-screw in the collar that connects the motors to the augers. Maybe when one of the augers gets hot, it hits the sides of the tube, and the set screw slips. See the Troubleshooting section of your owners manual....very first item is "Auger not turning".

EDIT: Under "auger not turning" - see #5 "carbon buildup in feed auger tube"

It sounds like the stove thinks the temp is getting too high and it stops feeding fuel until the temp goes down. When the temp gets below a certain point, it resumes feeding. Give tech support a call.

Panhandler said:
It sounds like the stove thinks the temp is getting too high and it stops feeding fuel until the temp goes down. When the temp gets below a certain point, it resumes feeding. Give tech support a call.
Yep, could be that too.....I was just making sure it wasn't something mechanical he could fix easily.

Panhandler said:

+1

macman said:
It sounds like something in the auger system (tube, auger flight, etc), is either expanding or shifting position slightly with high heat, and maybe causing the auger to jam? Did you check the auger/motor connection?

Do you also turn up the fan speed?
On mine they recommend fan speed and feed setting be the same

Status
Not open for further replies.