25PDV shut down for no apparent reason!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRXL

Jan 7, 2013
Ontario,Canada
Started the stove this morning about 8 and it ran till approx. 2pm when it shut down for what seems to be no reason. There was no codes to be displayed, the burn pot was full of un burnt pellets, the hopper had enough pellets in it, the augers didn't jamb up and I had given it a good clean last night with the ash vac. It ran on #4 and #8 on heat and fan setting. Any ideas?
IMG-20121111-00119.jpg

there were unburned pellets in the burn pot? may have "bridged" in the hopper

did it start back up when you found it off?

no house power issues?

another possibility is the door ajar vac switch may have opened.

check this , looking through the vent to the right of the door, locate the hose behind the vent (no need to remove the vent) just look through the slats for the hose and use this location as a point of referrence

then open the door, remove the impingement (baffle) plate, look over on the side wall through the front door (you will want a flashlight) locate a 1/8 inch hole in the side wall that this hose is hooked to. if this hole is restricted this can cause the vac switch to open causing a gap in feeding, you want to ream this hole out with a toothpick (DO NOT VACUUM THIS HOLE OUT!!) Then do a normal cleanout and refire the unit, if this was the issue the unit should go back to running normally.

if this dont work let me know

Last edited:
there were unburned pellets in the burn pot? may have "bridged" in the hopper

did it start back up when you found it off?

no house power issues?

another possibility is the door ajar vac switch may have opened.

check this , looking through the vent to the right of the door, locate the hose behind the vent (no need to remove the vent) just look through the slats for the hose and use this location as a point of referrence

then open the door, remove the impingement (baffle) plate, look over on the side wall through the front door (you will want a flashlight) locate a 1/8 inch hole in the side wall that this hose is hooked to. if this hole is restricted this can cause the vac switch to open causing a gap in feeding, you want to ream this hole out with a toothpick (DO NOT VACUUM THIS HOLE OUT!!) Then do a normal cleanout and refire the unit, if this was the issue the unit should go back to running normally.

if this dont work let me know
Yup there was at least a cup full of un burnt pellets in the burn pot.
The stove fired up with no problem when I hit the start button. Its been running now since 3pm with out a problem. I have seen that hole you are talking about many times, I have been cleaning it out wrong I didn't know you couldn't use a vacuum on it. Won't be doing that any
more.
Thanks for the reply Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.