$269 a ton add in the news paper today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
from a stove shop in southern Mass. I also received an order form for spring sales From Pro Tech Energy in Acton MA for NEWPs @ $269, Maine Woods @ $259, Corinth @ $269, Oak Creek @ $299. Prices are looking better!

lecomte38 said:
from a stove shop in southern Mass. I also received an order form for spring sales From Pro Tech Energy in Acton MA for NEWPs @ $269, Maine Woods @ $259, Corinth @ $269, Oak Creek @ $299. Prices are looking better!

Don't jump just yet, Hang in there. They might drop some more.
Might see $230 to $235

A little birdy told me! Around mid April.

jay

Those prices are simply unacceptable... they wont come down as long as people rush out to buy them at that price. Try turning on the furnace for a month spring is almost here. Prices can be driven down if those money hungry pellet mills have to sit on tons of pellets for a while, they will be glad to get $200 a ton soon.

The days of $200 retail are gone for now.

My summer buy sale is $250 a ton.

Eric

With all the people that bought pellet stoves over the last 12 months because of the high price of oil back then, the prices of pellets went up. I don't think we'll see prices much below $230, IF that...

jtakeman said:
lecomte38 said:

Might see $230 to $235

jay

Hope that 230-235 includes New haven County!

kinsman stoves said:
The days of $200 retail are gone for now.

My summer buy sale is $250 a ton.

Eric

With that said you may have a large inventory of pellets this year. I am not paying no more than 225 a ton ever again.

Nicholas440 said:
Those prices are simply unacceptable... they wont come down as long as people rush out to buy them at that price. Try turning on the furnace for a month spring is almost here. Prices can be driven down if those money hungry pellet mills have to sit on tons of pellets for a while, they will be glad to get $200 a ton soon.

Unacceptable yes, only because oil is low right now but crude is up today . Hold onto your wallets.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20602099&sid=a0GJqrJ.CxSA&refer=energy

I have to agree with Eric, our Summer buy price will probably be $250 a ton. The saw dust out there that is available is wet and most has to be dried. Two ton of dust in the dryer yields one ton of pellets, you do the math. I got prices from wholesale prices from Energex, ouch. I hope our local producer can make more this year. To get a QUALITY pellet, you are going to pay more. Of course if you have a harman, you can burn most anything. I'm going to start expermenting with anthracite coal in my stove

Those are Maine Athens, I bought a few bags there at the start of the season, worst pellets Ive burned out of the 8-10 brands I tried this year. They were selling those for $440 a ton in December but I imagine sales slowed once word got out the pellets were junk. Hope this batch is better than the first batch, Im looking elsewhere myself, not going to take a chance that they're as crappy as the bags I bought in Dec.
Caveat Emptor

weatherguy said:
......They were selling those for $440 a ton in December but I imagine sales slowed once word got out the pellets were junk.........

YIKES!!!!!!! $440/ton??????????? I think the word got out about the PRICE way before they found out they were junk.... :gulp:

YIKES!!!!!!! $440/ton??????????? I think the word got out about the PRICE way before they found out they were junk....

$440 was rediculous but they're not worth $200 a ton if theu're the same pellets as before.

packerfan said:
Pellets at my local HD store are $214/ton. That is about the cheapest around here, but hopefully they go down some. Gotta like the price though here in the midwest.

Better grab them quick....the local HD now has Spring Patio furniture and barbeque grills were pellets and stoves once stood.

440 a ton??? Cant be right!!!

It'd be right!
I asked her why would anyone pay that for pellets when oil is cheaper. Her reply was a lot of people locked in oil at over $4 a gallon. I think she was in for a rude awakening. Im sure prices were lowered throught the year but I never went back. I wouldnt buy pellets from her if she was the last dealer on earth. She was clearly taking advantage of the perceived shortage and hysteria that followed and thought she could cash in.

Was that the stove shop or Pro Tech? I bought at Pro Tech in early December and the only thing I saw near that price was a softwood pallet, I think it was a ton plus though.

Yeah, Maine was a definate bad pellet this year, but I got no problem burning 'em at the right price.

jtakeman said:
lecomte38 said:

Might see $230 to $235

jay

Your little birdy was only $4 off and one month late! http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bfs/1172829767.html

weatherguy said:

Those are Maine Athens, I bought a few bags there at the start of the season, worst pellets Ive burned out of the 8-10 brands I tried this year. They were selling those for $440 a ton in December but I imagine sales slowed once word got out the pellets were junk. Hope this batch is better than the first batch, Im looking elsewhere myself, not going to take a chance that they're as crappy as the bags I bought in Dec.
Caveat Emptor

Who was selling them for that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.