27 minutes to 600*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
from stone cold, with a few old black coals to help. Had the ash-pan door cracked open (cheating, in my book) and it didn't take long to torch up. Doubtful it's good for the stove's health..but curiosity got the better of me :)

You are right! Opening the ash pan to boost the fire voids the warranty. The worst time to do this is when the stove is cold. Since the cast gets super heated in one spot and can not come up to temp evenly. In an F-3CB I have never seen the base plate crack, but there is a first time for every thing. Be careful with this habit. Many folks on here love the super cedar fire starters. They bring the stove up to temp fast and are safer to use then the ash pan.

yeah i won't do it again, simple "wonderment" is my only explanation LOL. Just to clarify.. i didn't run ash door open to 600*, closed it off after maybe 10 min (guessing maybe 400*? - but i didn't actually check it at that point). I wonder tho - how would the manufacturer know to void the warranty (assuming the user didn't mention the ash door method...)

The fire grate on the bottom becomes bowed.

HeatsTwice said:
The fire grate on the bottom becomes bowed.
Most of the time that is true. And if the base plate cracks. Those would really be the only 2 times you would need to use the warranty. If you try and submit for either the light bulb goes on for the dealers. The only other thing i have seen happen is the baffles warp from time to time, but its rare.

all makes sense to me...I'll drive slower now, i promise.

The good news is that in 30-60 minutes with experience you should be able to bring the stove up to temp . . . maybe not so fast or quite so hot . . . but it will be hot enough to start throwing off heat . . . and you will not risk damaging the stove by using the ash pan . . . which by now you realize is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.