1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

27 ton Cub Cadet 5.5 hp Tucumseh, 8 years old Log Splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by Jfk4th, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jfk4th

Jfk4th Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    Guy wants 1,000 for it. I am thinking no more than 750 tops, that still might be too much. What do you guys think? He says it has been sitting for 3 years, again it is about eight years old. Bought it from a local mom and pop store at least.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    Too much. 500-600
  3. Jfk4th

Jfk4th Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    Sweet that's what I was hoping to ask. If it is meant to be he will take 500. If not he can sit on it for another 3 years..... :)
  4. reaperman

reaperman Member

Loc:
    Central Minn
    He probably never paid a full grand eight years ago
  5. Jfk4th

Jfk4th Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    This guy is saying that his is "heavy duty, also the home depot model is a bottom shaft, mine is side shaft over head valve, iron sleeve " His is not the toy log splitter than home depot is selling

Any idea of what this guy is saying?

I could be wrong because I am not a wood splitter expect..yet...but I think he feels that because he bought it at a local hardware store it is better. He might be right though, I heard something about older Cub Cadets are better in quality, before they changed to MTD?
  6. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I know this not the splitter your looking at, but I bought a 22 ton Huskee at TSC for under $1000 with 6.5 horse engine and it splits everything I have put on it. I wouldn't pay $1000 for an 8 year old one unless it came with 10 cords of wood. :)

Shipper
  7. Joe F

Joe F New Member

Loc:
    Long Valley, NJ
    If it's in great condition i might consider paying 500-600 bucks any more i'll invest in a new one. The ram is mostly what you are paying for. And most are all the same. Also how mamy cords do you plan splitting in a year?
  8. Jfk4th

Jfk4th Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    How did you get it for less than 1,000, I thought they were around 1300? Looks like you got a good deal
  9. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    1k is too much imo mostly cause it couldn't have cost more than that when new. But I have to admit the older MTD's are better...so imo that's a good thing going for it.

Hard for come up with a number without looking at it. If the gentleman insists on that price I would check out the Huskee at TSC with a coupon you can get a new machine for that about the same plus ....people.

People are important too...they'll get you free warranty parts or service.
  10. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I went to my local Indiana TSC and asked the salesman if he could do anything on the price. He said he had a coupon in his pocket good for 10% off. This was 2 years ago, not sure if you can get this deal. I paid around $900 with tax out the door.

Shipper
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.