275 gallon caged totes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some wooden cages that are the same size as the caged totes that I use. I have a couple of the metal ones and they would work just fine as well.

I don't think they are very rugged. I have a couple of the 330 gal ones. I use them for grease, and biodiesel storage.

The metal is pretty thin, I don't think it would be worth the effort. They are kinda tall for loading and unloading, I guess you could snake some splits out thru the holes.

Many of us using forked tractors are using a U made of pallets. Or, you can use ONE pallet and one of those quarter cord bag systems. 8 bucks a bag, and a few hundred bucks for the metal frame that holds the bag as you fill.

JP

I agree that they are pretty flimsy for wood storage. The 330gal one I store water in is movable with one person. It would work for a year or two, but I bet after that, the metal will have been beat up enough that it starts to crack and break.

We are working on this exact thing! Wow great minds think a like. We were thinking of cutting the side out in a "u" to facilitate loading/unloading. The thought came to us after learning of a few guys taking the tanks out and using them for mini duck blinds. They stuff the caged with their misc camp foliage. My experience with the cages are they s surprisingly durable. Notice the container on the left nearly unscathed from this wreckage. It was half full with herbicide and I would have guessed it to explode but the cage kept it safe. I do realize however that cutting the top and part of a side out will comprise its structure. We're gonna try it tho soon and will keep you all posted!

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro-- if im posting on here I'm probably supposed to be working! I can't help im addicted to HEARTH.COM!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349966467059.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349966467059.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 187
Thank you for your opinions.

I was on a trip recently and saw a firewood seller using them.
They had 20+ filled with wood.
Loading/unloading would be a potential challenge...
I may buy just one as an experiment to see how well it works.
I want to keep the wood in them for 2 years, then sell as premium DRY firewood.
Being able to move them with forks is a big plus.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.