28" Carlton bar and 91 dl Calton 30 RC chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbound

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2008
mid south tn
Got my new bar and chain combo from Bailey's today...UPS sure took their time on this one......

DSC03744.jpg

DSC03747.jpg

DSC03751.jpg

So far I am very impressed with the bar...Heavy duty steel and the fit from bar to tip is the best I have ever seen....Replaceable tip has oil holes on both sides and there is no play in the rivet..I have a ES bar that is loose and every Oregon bar I have encountered has been loose as well...

Anyone wanting a great bar cheap get em before they run out!!!!

I did however come up with a problem with the 064....White smoke after is has sat for a few days I fired it off tonight and all I got was white smoke out the carb...Bad thing it did not stop as long as I ran the saw it smoked...

So my best guess the case gasket has failed and the bar oil is leaking into the case.....

Looking Sweeeeeeeeet!

O and another thing the saw is no nose heavy.... Had a big day of firewood gathering on sat and I will hate if I can't show off my new saws to the in-laws!!!! Even my 038 av is acting up needs the carb reset... Don't like to idle after it gets hot..It is acting like my MS290 did after I broke it in..I little tune on the carb and it still runs sweet.....

Funny after getting these three saw and wheeling and dealing a few others the 290 is still my go to saw...It just never lets me down...........

southbound said:
O and another thing the saw is no nose heavy.... Had a big day of firewood gathering on sat and I will hate if I can't show off my new saws to the in-laws!!!! Even my 038 av is acting up needs the carb reset... Don't like to idle after it gets hot..It is acting like my MS290 did after I broke it in..I little tune on the carb and it still runs sweet.....

Funny after getting these three saw and wheeling and dealing a few others the 290 is still my go to saw...It just never lets me down...........

lol sorry to hear THAT! and for the smoke are you talking about it coming out of the carb its self or exhaust?

Your running too fat lean it up a little you could tell from your last video but its good to break it in like that

doese it keep smoking like mine does at first wot all the time?

southbound said:
More like a Deep purple concert when the play smoke on the water.....

Way more smoke...

left turn Clyde! your going to pick up some rpms and run like a Huge dog! (L screw left 1/8-1/4 turn)

From the other forum...

The top of the piston has what looks like dirty oil on it..Except where the plug sits it is clean. Made a little triangle there... I tried to get a sample off the piston with a q-tip but found the stuff was hard and not coming off...

Looks like the gasket let go on me.......

Know where I can get some bearings cheap???

southbound said:
From the other forum...

The top of the piston has what looks like dirty oil on it..Except where the plug sits it is clean. Made a little triangle there... I tried to get a sample off the piston with a q-tip but found the stuff was hard and not coming off...

Looks like the gasket let go on me.......

Know where I can get some bearings cheap???

now you give up the info...bearings cant be much but tearing it back down going to take some time

oh btw I pick up a 32in. es bar 79.00 bucks.

Bearings at the dealer ant cheap plus now I have to make the jig to split the case...

See I bet the bearings were good and they are just the case gasket that's bad lol.....That is my luck.................

I got to try out the 28" bar today in some 30" oak

DSC03760.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

I think I may try a 7 tooth rim I did seem to bog it a time or two... I hit something in the second tree barb wire..The Carlton chain took it alright but was a pain to touch up...I think it is harder then Stihl chain..I used a stihl file but it seemed to slide over the tooth.. Any way ready to go back tomorrow...

Now went to the dealer and priced some parts .. PTO bearing $43 the other $26 seals $15 and $12 lastly the gasket is $6..

So with some help from JJ on another forum I found the one bearing I am going to change for $1.75.. Mark up is a bi**h.............I should be up and running for $25 or so...Gonna make the jig to split the case as soon as I get all the wood off the lot that just came up...Free red oak gonna get all I can..............

southbound said:
I got to try out the 28" bar today in some 30" oak

DSC03760.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

I think I may try a 7 tooth rim I did seem to bog it a time or two... I hit something in the second tree barb wire..The Carlton chain took it alright but was a pain to touch up...I think it is harder then Stihl chain..I used a stihl file but it seemed to slide over the tooth.. Any way ready to go back tomorrow...

Now went to the dealer and priced some parts .. PTO bearing $43 the other $26 seals $15 and $12 lastly the gasket is $6..

So with some help from JJ on another forum I found the one bearing I am going to change for $1.75.. Mark up is a bi**h.............I should be up and running for $25 or so...Gonna make the jig to split the case as soon as I get all the wood off the lot that just came up...Free red oak gonna get all I can..............

great price...whats up with the big dawgs?

southbound said:
came with the saw........

lol just kidding...I have never like them when cutting they look aggressive but I fill that there more a pain in the but unless stumping.

I did not even notice they were there till I used them to drop those trees today.. They don't seem to get in my way..

Besides how are you supposed to force your dull chain threw that muddy log if you can't stick the dawgs???

southbound said:
I did not even notice they were there till I used them to drop those trees today.. They don't seem to get in my way..

Besides how are you supposed to force your dull chain threw that muddy log if you can't stick the dawgs???

lol bump strip is all I use get more out of your bar and faster in the cut as well jmo. guess its what you get use to

I must have hit something today knocked off the point on a few teeth...Took forever to get that Carlton chain back in shape..Some hard stuff there....

After I find a new truck I will look for a grinder....

southbound said:
I must have hit something today knocked off the point on a few teeth...Took forever to get that Carlton chain back in shape..Some hard stuff there....

After I find a new truck I will look for a grinder....

lol I had an email today where someone else did the same-thing! MUST BE IN THE AIR.

I think its harder getting use to my 14 in. bar on the 192..lol I started out with a 28in. And its still what I use most offten.

Started with a 18" a few years back..Quickly went to the 20" since my inlaws think you an't a man if you don't have a 20" bar....

I wonder what they think now I have the 28"??????

I ran my FIL 361 yesterday for one cut bucking a log and he grinds off the rakers way to much.. When I touched the log it bout pulled out of my hands lol......

southbound said:
Started with a 18" a few years back..Quickly went to the 20" since my inlaws think you an't a man if you don't have a 20" bar....

I wonder what they think now I have the 28"??????

I ran my FIL 361 yesterday for one cut bucking a log and he grinds off the rakers way to much.. When I touched the log it bout pulled out of my hands lol......

low rakers makes for a grabby saw

it sure does...

Kinda hard on a saw as well...

He is use to the 41 he run for 20 years..The low end on one of them is insane. He would grind the rakers clean off...............

Status
Not open for further replies.