28000 Buck insert during the Sandy power outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
No power for 8 days. Not very cold, maybe 40's at night in the beginning. I had little fires, trying not to fry the motor and themostats (bought new this season).
The last 3 nights the temperature dropped to the low 30's and I knew we would need more heat.
I removed the motor and thermostats and heated it up to 450. The old buck got us through. Without the fan its surely not as warm, but it kept us in the 60's!
I called the buck dealer, that I bought the motor from, and told them about my idea about removing the motor and tstats to increase the temps, they were actually against it, saying I could ruin the insert. Man, people can't think for themselves.
At the point we were at, we would have gladly ruined a $300 30yr old insert to stay warm (if we had to)through the power outage. The dealer in South Carolina, just couldn't understand our need.

The manual I got with my Buck 28000 says that if you burn without the blower to use the mesh screen and the doors open. I keep a small generator around so I can run the blower when the power goes out.

Michael

The manual I got with my Buck 28000 says that if you burn without the blower to use the mesh screen and the doors open. I keep a small generator around so I can run the blower when the power goes out.

Michael
It just doesn't give off the heat you need, with the doors open. Believe me, we were cold and didn't have a generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.