29 days left to grab all you can!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many you still need?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Leaves are going to Pop soon How many cords you still need?

I need 7 cord for this coming winter, 7 cord to get ahed 1 year and 2 cord in case 7 dosnn't last a whole winter. So my gaol is to cut 16 cord this spring summer and fall. I'm
not worried about having it done before summer,All the wood will be white ash that has been dead for 3 years. Most the bark falls right off when splitting.

woodsmaster said:
I need 7 cord for this coming winter, 7 cord to get ahed 1 year and 2 cord in case 7 dosnn't last a hole winter. So my gaol is to cut 16 cord this spring summer and fall. I'm
not worried about having it done before summer,All the wood will be white ash that has been dead for 3 years. Most the bark falls right off when splitting.

I am with you. I think 7 would get me there. I Have a big pile of rounds that I am not going to count yet few milling ends and logs...lol That's my back up plan. Hope it doesn't come down to that. Hauling about 3/4 cord a week now, looks like its time to stride it out to 1-1/2 cords a week.

Intheswamp said:
Whatchu talkin' bout????.....it's green everywhere around here!!! :cheese:

smokinjay said:

Not here! Grass is starting to green up. Been cutting under snow, so its a big Improvement. Still leaves will slow you down quicker than snow.

smokinjay said:
Intheswamp said:
Whatchu talkin' bout????.....it's green everywhere around here!!! :cheese:

smokinjay said:

Not here! Grass is starting to green up. Been cutting under snow, so its a big Improvement. Still leaves will slow you down quicker than snow.
Yeah, it's a bit different down here...done mowed the grass once and needing to today (might get pre-empted by wood cutting). I haven't had the displeasure yet of cutting firewood with leafed out trees, mostly only clear-cut debris. I can see where it would be a pain in the butt. I've decided that this summer I'm going to study hard on my tree identification skills....that's where the leaves will actually help me. Got some field guides, etc., to work with. Might even mark some trees for winter cutting. Once those leaves start poppin' it don't take long to cover a tree!!! Big difference in moving a naked limb and a leafed one!!!

Take care,
Ed

Well, lessee here...

I need at least 2 for next year, better to have 3, for us, SIL, another SIL.
Then I need Red Oak for the following year for all of us.
Then I need to help rookie gatherer/burner BIL. He's got a weenie Crapsman saw and no experience so I'll have to fell/buck the big ones, haul 'em out with my quad and trailer, and may have to help him split (probably with hydraulics, but trying to get him to learn hand splitting.) And his son is moving out of town for a while. :shut: He's going to need probably 4-6 cords, don't know yet. 1800 sq.ft. house and burning smoke dragoons.
So, not counting BIL, I'm looking at 3cd. x 3houses x 2 years=18 cd. I'd like to get myself 3 years' worth, so make that 21 cd. I really should get them 3 years, too. So make that 27 cd.

I don't think I'll make it before the Redbuds pop. :lol:

Woody Stover said:
Well, lessee here...

I need at least 2 for next year, better to have 3, for us, SIL, another SIL.
Then I need Red Oak for the following year for all of us.
Then I need to help rookie gatherer/burner BIL. He's got a weenie Crapsman saw and no experience so I'll have to fell/buck the big ones, haul 'em out with my quad and trailer, and may have to help him split (probably with hydraulics, but trying to get him to learn hand splitting.) And his son is moving out of town for a while. :shut: He's going to need probably 4-6 cords, don't know yet. 1800 sq.ft. house and burning smoke dragoons.
So, not counting BIL, I'm looking at 3cd. x 3houses x 2 years=18 cd. I'd like to get myself 3 years' worth, so make that 21 cd. I really should get them 3 years, too. So make that 27 cd.

I don't think I'll make it before the Redbuds pop. :lol:

Thats a very tall order. I thought at one point I was going to make a 3 year supply but this winter took that pipe dream away...lol

Don't need any and don't have much control of when it comes anyway.

I am set for next year with some Red and White Oak. I have scored almost 3 cords of Black Locust in the last week. One more cord like that and Locust will be 11-12 wood and the Oak will get one more year to season.

I have around 11 stacked, about two in heaps split and one in rounds so another cord or two for 2013/2014 wouldn't hurt. I'll have those by the time the 2011/2012 season opens up so I'm not worried about it. :) I have a decent sized standing dead elm that needs to come down so that will help top of my shoulder season wood for next year.

So in your poll I voted 1 or 2 but that's towards my 2013/2014 wood.

Got next years 4 cord of ash and locust split and stacked since last November. I would love to have '12-'13 c/s/s by June 1st, but the wife has been jawwin' about me taking up the whole yard with "my wood", so we'll see how it goes.

rdust said:
I have around 11 stacked, about two in heaps split and one in rounds so another cord or two for 2013/2014 wouldn't hurt. I'll have those by the time the 2011/2012 season opens up so I'm not worried about it. :) I have a decent sized standing dead elm that needs to come down so that will help top of my shoulder season wood for next year.

So in your poll I voted 1 or 2 but that's towards my 2013/2014 wood.

You have 11 cords stacked?

Just stacked another cord this morning, have about 1.5 - 2 on the ground split yet to stack, and 1/2 cord of Poplar that I am likely to turn into kindling. Ran out of pallets for stacking. I have about 22 cords split/stacked now. Looks like I will use 5 cords per season, so I am stacking for 2015 right now. Have good access to many more cords within 1/4 mile of my house too. May need to trade in the body before I get through it all.

smokinjay said:

Probably a little more but I never count the poplar towards my wood supply.

Our leaves are bursting out everywhere, we cannot collect any more wood now because of the birds nesting everywhere.

We have over 2 cords ready for next Winter, and if we see anything standing dead which can be acquired easily without disturbing anything we'll go for it.

Otherwise, it will soon be fishing season here, down the beach for the mackerel and sea bass!

I've got about 5 cord of oak to buck and split in the log pile to replace the 4+ that I've used this winter.
Power Co. "planner" came by Thurs. morning and told me they were planning to come back out to cut a few more trees in the ROW. One good sized white pine, a couple Spruce, and 1-2 soft maple. Those will keep me busy for a bit too, mostly for "shoulder" time.
There's no way all that's getting done before the bugs hit....I'll just have to deal with 'em.

rdust said:
smokinjay said:

Probably a little more but I never count the poplar towards my wood supply.

lol, Very Impressive! 10 cords this season up in smoke for me. I might catch up with you, but will take a perfect month! Best I can run would be 1-1/2 cords a week. (5-7 cords cut a week but we all split that)

smokinjay said:
Woody Stover said:
make that 27 cd.
Thats a very tall order. I thought at one point I was going to make a 3 year supply but this winter took that pipe dream away...lol
Yeah, not happening here this year, either. 3 cd. each is following the advice to have 1.5 x what you think you need. Actually, we could all just about make it on 2 cd. apiece, when I get them new combustors and reseal their stoves. Heck, I made it on ~2 cd. and it was a long, cold winter. The reality is one step at a time, 2-yr supply w/Red Oak in the pipeline (3 yrs for me); 6 cd. for us, 4 cd. each for them, for a total of 14 cd. plus helping BIL. They'll be working too, splitting/stacking so maybe it can be done.
Just in case it doesn't work out, do you know how far it is to Michigan, and when rdust leaves for work? ;-) I could get 2 cd. off the top his pile, and he would probably write it off as shrinkage from drying. :lol:

smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:
I need 7 cord for this coming winter
I am with you. I think 7 would get me there.
7 cords?? :bug: Where do you guys live, in Medieval castles?!!

I hate to lose a single one of these warm, windy days...I'm going out to sharpen a couple chains and hit the Oak next door! :coolsmirk:

smokinjay said:

Let them pop smokin, we have plenty of wood down. Another two or three years worth.

Zap

zapny said:
smokin said:

Let them pop smokin, we have plenty of wood down. Another two or three years worth.

Zap

My place has very few tree and the wood around here is next to impossible to get into in May! So WOT for 29 day!

Couple cord on hand, another cord waiting to be split, cord and a half that a neighbor no longer needs, and another cord ready to be cut down and processed. Also going to order 2 cord to get a bit ahead for next year. Gathering all this wood and I have yet to repair the chimney or purchase the new stove.....

I have 13 c/s/s right now. Hoping for 2 more this spring and 3 more this fall.

I have 10 cords stacked, Roughly 3 bucked and ready to split, and I girdled 3 big ones so the leaves will never come out and I can cut them anytime I want this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.