1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

290 chain test and tune.

Post in 'The Gear' started by smokinj, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Ran a 290 last night with a 20in. bar full chisel no skip on the saw buck last night.(cold night for sure) Friend of mine had to have this saw running good for today. Tune it sharpen the 3 chains and made some cookies. This is the 2nd 290 I have done in the last 2 weeks with this set up. imo this is a very good saw with carb adjustment always thought they would be under powered for a 20 in. bar there not. Running strong on the saw buck! and this one was a 3/8 set up.Its a lot funnier to get someone else ready to go out in sub weather than myself.lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. croghanite

croghanite New Member

Loc:
    SC
    Thats my set up. Had it for 7 years and it runs great. Just came in from a full day of cuttin.

What's your prefered setup for felling big ol trees and such?
  3. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I run my 029 with a 20" bar and full comp chisel. Might not be the fastest saw, but I have never noticed a lack of power.
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    ms 460 28in. bar and 3/8 full chiesl in clean and skip in dirty
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I was only in 12-14 in. on saw buck but at that size felt pretty strong.
  6. Flatbedford

Loc:
    It still feels pretty strong in 20"+ too.
    I forgot to add that it is .325 chain. Any advantage to running 3/8? I would have to replace the bar as well to change right? What about the sprocket?
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    advantage would be the bit or chip you are taking its a little bigger and more aggressive and that is also the dis advantage. On the 290 I dont think you have to change the sprocket its more like a metal spindle. Muffler modd and retune gives that saw enough to pull the 3/8 pretty well..
  8. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I don't want to mess with mufflers and tuning and I am pretty happy with it as it is anyway. That may be because I don't know any better. I've never run a saw any bigger or more powerful than my 029. Probably better that way as I might find myself "needing" a bigger saw if I did.
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

yep I would stick wear your at .325 less kerf there fore easier to pull but dont think you will gain much and your .325 is paid for.
  10. southbound

southbound Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid south tn
    My MS 290 is 20 inch bar .325 I don't remember 7 or 8 pin... Does bog out in big wood a little.... The muffler mod made a BIG difference!!!!!!! My FIL is a logger with lots of good chains laying around all 20 inch and 3/8 and he gets bent because I won't convert the 290...It out cuts his 310 3/8 set up so I see no reason..... Besides I got the 038 and 064 lol.............
  11. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Drill a hole the size of a dime in the center of the muffler cover and through the back plate, reinstall the screen.....richen the H a bit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.