1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

290 farmboss chains...help

Post in 'The Gear' started by steeltowninwv, Dec 15, 2011.

1. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv Minister of Fire

Loc:
    west virginia
    i have a 290 farmboss 74 drive links .325 pitch...63 gauge....i have 1 stihl full chisel chain...and 2 normal green stihl chains..i like em both depending on wood..etc....but my question is...how does oregons chain for this saw compare?....i can get em cheap at a local store here...full chisel oregon is 13.99 vs steel for 28.00....and im not sure about oregons regular chain didnt price it...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Oregon chains are softer than Stihl. Normally I would say buy the Stihl chain, however at half price you can see how long the Oregon lasts you & if it's the better value, Randy
  3. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
    There is a reason they are half the cost. LOL I have used both and i like the stihl way better. I also like the way the stihl resharpens with a hand file.

Rob
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Oregon file are a bit softer & sharpen easier, keep them out of dirt, they last quite a while.

Shipping from Europe & Euro tax adds to the cost some also.