290 farmboss chains...help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
i have a 290 farmboss 74 drive links .325 pitch...63 gauge....i have 1 stihl full chisel chain...and 2 normal green stihl chains..i like em both depending on wood..etc....but my question is...how does oregons chain for this saw compare?....i can get em cheap at a local store here...full chisel oregon is 13.99 vs steel for 28.00....and im not sure about oregons regular chain didnt price it...

Oregon chains are softer than Stihl. Normally I would say buy the Stihl chain, however at half price you can see how long the Oregon lasts you & if it's the better value, Randy

There is a reason they are half the cost. LOL I have used both and i like the stihl way better. I also like the way the stihl resharpens with a hand file.

Rob

taxidermist said:
There is a reason they are half the cost. LOL I have used both and i like the stihl way better. I also like the way the stihl resharpens with a hand file.

Rob

Oregon file are a bit softer & sharpen easier, keep them out of dirt, they last quite a while.

Shipping from Europe & Euro tax adds to the cost some also.

Status
Not open for further replies.