290 farmboss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
OK so after getting burnt real bad on a stihl 025... my good buddy I can trust has offered me his 6 year old 290 farmboss for 200 dollars...he uses it every year to cut about 7 pickup loads of wood..this saw is nice and is strong...should I jump on it?

steeltowninwv said:
OK so after getting burnt real bad on a stihl 025... my good buddy I can trust has offered me his 6 year old 290 farmboss for 200 dollars...he uses it every year to cut about 7 pickup loads of wood..this saw is nice and is strong...should I jump on it?

Sounds like a good deal to me-what happened to your 025? I just picked up a nice 026 free!

Main bearings are bad...

That's a good deal for a decent 290. On my local CL the asking price for used is $250+, and eBay is even more.

Just curious, do you know if it's .325" or 3/8" pitch? Bar length?

Don't know the pitch...18 inch bar

I just purchased a new 290 w/20" bar for $399, so $200 is a decent price on a great saw. The dealer did have a special on that model and I got a free carrying case with purchase. Pitch on mine is 3/8".

Not a bad deal, maybe he has a few bars and spare chains to throw in to. Also see if has the Stihl sharpening kit for the chain on the saw, that will also save ya a few bucks. A new 290 at my Stihl dealer here is 349, thats also a fair price on that saw. Good luck with the new saw.

You still have the 250?

yep sure do still have the 250

I would like to sell my 029. 20" bar .325 pitch. I have two Stihl yellow full chisel chains, an Oregon full chisel, the original safety chain, and a skip chain that I bought before I knew better. I even have the Stihl file kit for the .325 chain. I think I should get around $275 for it and the chains. What do you all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.