2lb titanium wood stove :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Mar 8, 2013
Eastern PA
thought you guys might enjoy some pics of my camping stove....it's full titanium and weighs in at just 2lbs. it does an awesome job heating up the tent on cold nights while hunting up in the mountains. it's 12" long and 7.5" in diameter. it holds a decent amount of wood...and if slowed down will burn for about 2 hours which isn't bad considering the size. most of the time i light it up and let it scream to get the tent hot quickly...then i'll pack as much wood as we can into the stove and damp it down really low and crawl into my sleeping bag..and by the time the stove dies out i'm all toasty and out cold. on really cold hunts i'll keep a small stack of wood next to my bag so in the AM i can just throw some wood in there and start er up right away to warm the tent before i get out of my bag. for fast starting of the fire...i use 10" long splits of cedar wrapped in about 3 handfuls of dryer lint cleanout..and it's all tied up into a tight bundle with cooking string. i place that on top of three cotton balls soaked in vasaline and light er up..and within a minute she's raging enough to throw wood on.

i've never been able to capture it on camera because i was waaaay too tired to give a sh*t...but when the stove is really cooking it turns a bright blue right where the pipe leads into the body...gotta love titanium!

the best part about the whole deal it...it weighs 2 lbs...and takes a single wall TeePee tent from 10 degrees to 60 degrees in no time at all!!! that's really nice after a long day of hiking through the wilderness looking for critters. plus...if you get stuck in the tent on a really rainy/snowy chitty day...you can just lounge back and be comfy while you pass the time.

View attachment 98684 WYOMING 045.jpgWYOMING 046.jpg
WYOMING 040.jpg

WYOMING 026.jpg

That is neat. Is that a purchased product? Or did you make it?

pen

that one was purchased from TiGoat stoves...he makes some really cool stuff. i've seen guys make them before but in the end unless you have a decent source for the Ti it's about the same price and his are made really well!

I recall a couple winter camping trips back in the day where that would have been sweet...

Kewl.

If its cold enough to need heat, I wouldn't be sleeping in a tent. But I agree that it is Kool.

If its cold enough to need heat, I wouldn't be sleeping in a tent.
Took me many years of sleeping in a tent in some God-awful weather to figure that out. But there is something about going to sleep in the great outdoors,and waking up to a winter wonderland. No regrets - but too tired and sore to pretend I'm still 25 years old or could do that now. I still dig the heater though...

If its cold enough to need heat, I wouldn't be sleeping in a tent. But I agree that it is Kool.

Not many other options 12 miles back into the high-country...it's the next best thing next to a canvas wall tent with a big ass stove in it. Plus I've been up there in September and the weather can change so fast and catch you off guard if you're not prepared so It's a lightweight insurance policy.

Yes but it's not the most efficient for cooking.

That is some nice gear. And I disagree with what others said about cold weather camping. Cold weather means no bugs!

That is some nice gear. And I disagree with what others said about cold weather camping. Cold weather means no bugs!

cold weather means the deer are on the move all day long :) and yes...no bugs is always great!

I guess that might be the only advantage of a tent without a floor? Ever wake up to find squirrels and mice camped around the stove with you?

yes the mice loved the stove...it was pretty funny. the open floors isn't that big of a deal..i used my bivy around my sleeping bag to keep the bag all to myself :)

Once during Scouts in grade school, my buddies and I borrowed an old Army surplus tent without a floor. That was a new experience, and we went right back to tents with floors after that. Then again, I didn't have a nice titanium stove to keep the tent warm...

What's a bivy?

bivy is like a tent that fits perfectly over your sleeping bag....totally waterproof and very lightweight. the only pat that sucks is when you use it in the rain or snow...and it's all zippered up tight...moisture cannot escape either...so it gets all damp inside and can sometimes suck. but it's great when you find yourself without shelter and only a spot big enough on the ground for a sleeping bag.

who says you can't make a kitchen table out of softwood????

this big dead tree was upwind of our tent by about 100 yards and right on the edge of the treeline...so it made a great spot to cook breakfast and do some early glassing from.

Attachments

• WYOMING 028.jpg
    WYOMING 028.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: bag of hammers
Thats a cool set-up! I loved my little stove in my tee-pee. With a little heat it made camping in the winter more fun than summer time to me.
I made mine from a grill from lowes, it weighed a lot more than your's, but it was still manageable.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3996.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: Riggs
Status
Not open for further replies.