2'nd Block off plate??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley

Minister of Fire
Apr 11, 2006
Ashfield, MA
Well - this may be more cosmetic than anyting else, but just wondering if this would be a problem. Already have a very tight block off seal around the damper where the liner came through, now - I was just thinking of sealing off (removable to get to cleaning the pipe) in front of the fireplace. I had some angle iron to build the frame (it hasn't been secured to the existing brick work yet.) I'm thinking of doing it pretty air tight, but now I'm second-guessing myself, because it would leave an airspace in the original fireplace that is tightly sealed above, and in front. I'd probably rather have the good seal right behind the stove, and that way I'd have some room to move around with the flex pipe when running a brush through it but that would mean taking out the block off plate at the damper.

So I guess what the question is... would it be better to have a good seal at the damper-level, or right behind the stove, or both? I'm really thinking that it would not be good to have a lot of air heated up in between the 2 block off places - so - which would be better?

Here's the pic of the frame I cobbed up inside the fireplace to cover up the liner and T

Attachments

• Front 1.JPG
    Front 1.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 720
Beautiful set up Harley. My thought is this: If you already have an effective block off plate, why mess with a good thing? I would simply build a cosmetic only front where you have indicated in your picture. Maybe even vent it if you have concerns of heat being trapped. Though, I also agree with Craig, the brick mass you have there would mostly likely dissipate any substantial heat between the two.

Take my comment with a grain of salt Sir, just my 2 cents.

-Kevin

Thats a nice looking set up Harley, if it wokks well don't mess with it.

Looks good to me, I don't think I would change a thing.

Thanks, Guys...

Just bolted it together in place to keep its shape (imagine that... the fireplace opening wasn't perfectly square), and pulled it out so I can tack it together at work. It was in there pretty tight. Once I get the plate for the front, I think I'll drill and tap the frame so that removing the plate is fairly easy. Though its real purpose is cosmetic (it's a little messy with the bricks that were taken out). Since I've gone this far on it, I might as well make it as tight as I can. I think you are right... having that airspace blocked off at the top and in front shouldn't cause any problems... I guess I was over-thinking it a little bit.

Why is it that every little project takes longer than expected? Anyway, finally got the 2'nd plate in... put in some better supports for the "T" behind, and got it sealed up pretty well. It actually stands out more in the picture than it really does in person, but I think it cleans up the back. Not the best weekend to do it... had to let the stove go out, and its been pretty cold.

OOOps! Sorry - cactus jumped up and tried blocking the picture.

Attachments

• Block off 2.JPG
    Block off 2.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 561
WOW!! That black contrast looks great!Looks like arunway model on a catwalk... ;-) I like..

MrGriz said:
Looks good to me, I don't think I would change a thing.

Ok, I take that back. It looks much better now!

looking goood get that baby cranking so it will be real nice for the 6:30 party

Thanks, guys

It's been going a few hours now, and nice and toasty here (still chilly out but not as much wind as yesterday). Maybe its just me, but it seems that plate is helping to bounce back some of the heat into the room quicker (is that convection or radiant??) - I didn't get the heat shield for the back of the stove. I'll have to do some (very non-scientific) checking to see if the amount of heat "stored" in the rest of the fireplace is less than it was with the 1 block off in the damper section.

It'll be t-shirt and shorts temp here long before 6:30.... gotta run out to the beer store before then... still trying to download Baba's venison stew, but that's not working very well :cheese:

EDIT: Just looked at the picture again... see that light spot on the hearth on the right front side? that means somebody (look to the left) has been licking the hearth again... oh well... vet say's it won't hurt him and is actually good for his coat.

Thank, bud... that little cactus is just a baby... have lot's of its bigger relatives in the house that are trying to kill me (not that I'm being paranoid :ahhh: )

Great job harley looks real nice with that back ground but keep an eye
on that cuctus it looks a little scary.

Harley,

THat looks fantastic. I wasn't sure exactly how it would look when finished, but both cor(r)ie's think it looks purty damn sharp.

Thanks, Cor(r)ies!!

A lot of you guys that know what you are doing with steel could have done it a lot quicker and better than me, but I think it came out pretty well.... picture the accountant with an arc welder.... that's enough to send everyone in the shop running for high ground :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.