2nd Flippy Cap on Stihl Saw Broke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
First, it was the gas cap. Yesterday it was the oil cap. I think I'm gonna need extras. Kinda puts a stop to what you were doing.

I'm not a fan of the flippy caps. Seems over-engineered.

I picture a bunch of of German engineers sitting around, eating schnitzel, drinking beer, listening to bad techno music...then one of them shouts out "Caps sollten komplizierter!"

I hear this argument every-time we cut. I prefer them. Never seen or had one break let a lone 2. Thats a bad day!

lukem said:

I picture a bunch of of German engineers sitting around, eating schnitzel, drinking beer, listening to bad techno music...then one of them shouts out "Caps sollten komplizierter!"

that's exactly what I see too.....over engineered crap!

smokinjay said:
I hear this argument every-time we cut. I prefer them. Never seen or had one break let a lone 2. Thats a bad day!

they did do a recall not too long ago....and are now on the "2nd generation flippy caps" ugggghhhhhhh

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:

they did do a recall not too long ago....and are now on the "2nd generation flippy caps" ugggghhhhhhh

Do you have a link to the recall or years make for recall?

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:

I don't think chainsaws are part of it, but it is evidence they are junk!

http://www.stihlusa.com/recalls/recall_toolless_cap/FAQ/index.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/recalls/recall_toolless_cap/

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:

Ok here a list of the recall products. and still for the record like them...lol 0 saws are on it. Not good for velvetfoot though!~

I too like the flippy caps. I did not mind the old style caps, but I never used the scrench to tighten them down as it would eventually bunk the slot up. With the snap down cap, you just need to be a bit careful to make sure they seat correctly before you secure them.

I've never had a problem either...so I'm not saying they are junk. They just seem like time/money would have been better spent on something else...like make it self sharpening or something LOL!

These things broke on me though, and I really didn't manhandle them.
This is a separate issue from the "not connected right and fluid leaked all over the place" issue. I've overcome that by making sure it's on by pulli

velvetfoot said:
These things broke on me though, and I really didn't manhandle them.
This is a separate issue from the "not connected right and fluid leaked all over the place" issue. I've overcome that by making sure it's on by pulli

Darn sure sux's and two of them suxs even harder.

I had to replace my bar oil cap. Thing break. No big deal.

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:

Only evidence that the concentration of ethanol in US fuel was not considered when the caps were manufactured. The recall affects only certain models of trimmers and blowers and no saws. If you're machine is listed then just take your model/serial to the dealer and they will replace it for free. I don't hear anybody poo-pooing Poulan/Craftman saws with caps that expand and lock so tight they require a decent sized pair of channel-lock's to remove. I haven't heard of a recall to replace all those defective caps. How do you F*** up a simple threaded cap? (Same way you screw up a flippy one, poor material choice.)

I for one don't miss looking for pliers or a screwdriver every time a threaded cap vacu-locks itself in the tank. Wish my 034 had 'flippy' caps. Have never seen an intact cap leak either. Never.

Velvetfoot, how on earth did you break 2 caps? Even working as a tech for a dealer, I rarely (like once or twice) ever saw a defective cap.

I have a fuel cap that does not want to close right all the time. But for the most part though I like them.

Both the fuel and gas caps have broken on my non flippy 029. I use a nice big screwdriver instead of the scrench now. Seems to be a little easier on the cap.

I don't care for the flippy's, but the only saw that has them is the 192T. My stihl dealer told me about the recall, I asked if my saw was included, he said" I have no idea" & handed me 2 new caps. Just take the caps to your dealer & see what they say. AC

lukem said:

My wife speaks a little German. In the cold winter time she lets me know it's time to kick the fire up by declaring "Frostonhooters!"

I have both styles screw and flippy. As most here know I run my own tree company, 7 different saws, 2 hedgers, 2 blowers. The recall sucks because they don't do the saws. Right before they mailed the notices of recall out I purchased about a half dozen caps oil & gas. So now I have all these caps to go through before I get more. I have run across 3 in the last year that got stuck in the tank, when I did get them out I just put a new one in... The concept of tooless caps is great, the material is the issue... :shut:

My fuel cap's gone wonky. Worked great until recently, now it's a pain to get closed. Spilled a bunch of gas the first couple of times, because it seemed to be closed correctly, but wasn't. Now that I know what to look for I can make sure it's tight, but it sometimes takes a few tries. Oil cap is fine.

Ethanol was the reason for the recall. My br600 backpack blower and my FS100rx trimmer was under the recall. Since I usually use ethanol free gas i dont have any problems. Got the new caps put up. My poulan cap did however give me a fit with ethanol and so did my neighbors poulan. I broke my little bitty ms210 oil cap $5 for a new one but in all honesty i tried to put it on with too much oil in it.

RNLA said:
I have both styles screw and flippy. As most here know I run my own tree company, 7 different saws, 2 hedgers, 2 blowers. The recall sucks because they don't do the saws. Right before they mailed the notices of recall out I purchased about a half dozen caps oil & gas. So now I have all these caps to go through before I get more. I have run across 3 in the last year that got stuck in the tank, when I did get them out I just put a new one in... The concept of tooless caps is great, the material is the issue... :shut:

I wonder if some of the problem caps are/were in the spare parts stream. The caps have a letter moulded into them. "E" is the newer ethanol-proof cap.

EDIT: "E" is the newer cap! (Originally posted "D") :red:

I saw the recall poster at my local dealer, noticed that no saws were listed in the recall and asked about it. He said that if I had a problem with the caps on my saw to bring it in and they would replace them. Hope your dealer feels the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.