2nd Hearth Small stove ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
The Fisher does a fine job on heating the home but at some point I'd like to get this hearth going again. t's off my kitchen but from where I sit in the other living room I have a clear view of both hearths.

I was thinking Jotul 602?
The stove my Father had there 30+ years ago was very similar in size to the 602 with that cigar smoker design burning from front to back. Junked that stove years ago and the old masonry chimney will be next to go.

The pic with the fan in it is the room where I do most of my sitting...The Fisher is just off to the right.

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 381
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 377
  • h3.jpg
    h3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 385
hareball said:
The Fisher does a fine job on heating the home but at some point I'd like to get this hearth going again. t's off my kitchen but from where I sit in the other living room I have a clear view of both hearths.

I was thinking Jotul 602?
The stove my Father had there 30+ years ago was very similar in size to the 602 with that cigar smoker design burning from front to back. Junked that stove years ago and the old masonry chimney will be next to go.

The pic with the fan in it is the room where I do most of my sitting...The Fisher is just off to the right.

:EDIT: I mistakenly thought the 602 was the 118 Black Bear. :EDIT:

With that in mind, you should learn from my mistakes. I bought an Intrepid for the Kitchen. I should have gone larger. The short burn times, and the low heating capacity get on my nerves at times.

Have you thought about a cat model for the days where you don't need as much heat?

I have a two year old 602CB in our kitchen. It does a great job heating that room. I agree on the short burns but it is a small stove after all. We really like and occasionally cook on the top of it.

To tell you the truth I knew nothing about cat stoves and secondary combustion stoves so I'm still learning.
The stove that was there would go about 3-4 hours and if I waited any longer to reload I had to steal coals from the Fisher to get it going again...very annoying indeed! It was a stove from the old defunct "Two Guys" dept. Store from the 70's.

I will have to get some measurements of the hearth up on here. That should help narrow down the choices.

I'm surprised you aren't opting for the obvious! A fisher baby bear!

BTW, i think the 602 is an attractive alternative.

pen

pen said:
I'm surprised you aren't opting for the obvious! A fisher baby bear!

BTW, i think the 602 is an attractive alternative.

pen

A baby bear sure would be nice!!

Hearth area is 41"x41" and flue height is 46" to center

The 602 is a great little stove. It burns fast and hot. Expect a refill every couple hours, but it is a mighty little heater. You might also consider the Morso 2B in this configuration.

If buying new, it looks like a PE Vista or Alderlea T4 would fit that hearth nicely with a double-wall connector.

BeGreen said:
The 602 is a great little stove. It burns fast and hot. Expect a refill every couple hours, but it is a mighty little heater. You might also consider the Morso 2B in this configuration.

If buying new, it looks like a PE Vista or Alderlea T4 would fit that hearth nicely with a double-wall connector.

BeGreen-- Thank You!! I really like those choices there.

Just to clarify, the old 602 is a great little stove that burns fast and hot. The newer F602 doesn't come close to the old one in heat output. It's a mediocre design that burns neither clean nor hot. The Morso 2B would be the much better choice of the two.

After viewing the stoves BeGreen mentioned I'm off the Jotul. I forget who it was who posted a 601 but thats what got me looking at the Jotul line but I guess the 601 is no longer made.

Whatever I end up with will not be used very much since the Fisher has no problem heating the home. But having the second stove will give me the option to set myself up in the back of the house since there is a living room and bedroom back there and I can close those 2 rooms off from the rest of the house and conserve wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.