2nd Oil Tank/Backup/Tie-In?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

2 tank hookup?

• Good Idea?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad Idea?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFridge

Feb 22, 2015
Hi friends!
New to the forum and happy to be here.

A question about oil tanks.

Have a 600 gallon underground oil tank and its a matter of time before decommission....as with all oil tanks.
Also have a new 275 gallon above ground oil tank, for when the time comes.

The buried 600 has a 2 line copper run. Supply and return. The above ground is s one line system.

Have a tiger loop on the furnace, not used yet...awaiting activation of the 275.

Is it possible to combine these 3 lines to one system via a switchable valve system?
Essentially...use the 600 gal, if it runs out or gets condensation/water in line, then activate the valve to open the 275 feed.

Line in...600.
Line in...275
To filter into tiger loop then single stage burner pump?

Any ideas good or bad would be appreciated.

Looking forward to meeting all of you through knowledgable yet novice questions.

Thanks friends.

I'm not going to answer your question, because I think you already know the answer. If your 600 gallon tank is suspect in any way, don't use it! That is a great deal of oil to waste and a huge environmental issue if it does leak. I'm far from a tree-hugger, but I would definitely not want oil seeping into my local groundwater.

Pump it dry into the new tank. Seal it off.
I have 2, 250 gallon tanks in my basement. I like having them were I can see and inspect them.

It's not suspect, it's just a matter of time with an underground tank.
Of course I'm not going to risk contaminating one of my largest investments.
I was just given a new 275 gal tank and want to hook it up in addition to.

The question still remains. Can you hook up a dual tank system and how would you route your lines.
Underground 600 is a dual line and the 275 above ground is a single.

Dont know of an easy way to tie in both types of systems. Can you set up the new 275 then pump the 600 to fill it instead?

Any ideas good or bad would be appreciated.
With the tiger loop you don't need the return line to the 600 do you? So just the supply line from the 600 through a valve and into a tee, and likewise run the line from the 250 through a valve into another leg of the tee, and then from the tee to the inlet of the tiger loop?

If it was me. I'd tie the boiler supply line from the 600 to the 275 and put a valve on it. I would also add an additional fill line on the 275 so I could fill it directly.

I have a very simple system for my tanks. They are connected by a large 2" pipe to keep about the same amount in them. The copper line to the boiler is a T fitting (each with a valve) that allows pulling from the bottom of both tanks. Each have inline filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.